Memorable Topics – Threads and posts that are just too good to lose > Plant Information and Portraits

My Bit of Heaven - by Kristl Walek

<< < (228/229) > >>

ChrisB:
What a huge task, Kristl.  But its very clear, a labour of love....

Kristl Walek:
And before i make the official switch to 2012, let me bring you up to date on the progress of the (non-native) parts of the garden (mostly fronting the street).

I moved into my tiny bungalow on 3/4 acres at the end of July, 2009.
The first two pictures show the front, as it was.
The only flower bed was in front of the house, mostly full of weeds and plants I had no interest in keeping.

Phase one autumn of 2009, soil and building rough planting areas; at this stage, just to heel in all the plants I brought with me, which had been sitting in pots since spring of 2009 before being moved across the country.

Plants were roughly designated spaces and quickly planted before winter.

Simultaneously I also constructed a rock garden of whatever rocks I could find and drag home (all way too small).

In 2010 I continued on the side yards, and put up a greenhouse. This fell down immediately during a bad storm in the winter of 2010-11.

In 2011 the fallen greenhouse was re-built and I constructed a side fence to shield my back yard from the street.
The fence will be continued this year to the front, to shield me a bit more from the street and traffic.

The last pictures is the front garden as of late 2011, and where I will begin again this year.

Paul T:
Brilliant, Kristl.

I can understand why you had the non-native forest as a bug bear..... it would get me too.  While I would quite probably make a mix of exotic and native if I were to own a forested block, I'd likely keep those as separate areas.  Admittedly though, my "native" would probably include the majority of stuff that wasn't local native but from other parts of the country.  It will be fascinating to see what this becomes over time.  I look forward to your pics.

And doesn't your front yard look wonderful now!!  :o

fermi de Sousa:
Your place looks amazing, Kristl.
I hope if we ever get across to Eastern Canada that you'll allow us to visit!
cheers
fermi
PS as you know, I've succumbed yet again and put in another order to "Gardens North" - prompted by the notice of your April Sale! ;D

Tim Ingram:
What a lovely scene that last picture is - the neighbours are likely to have a fun time watching all those unfamiliar plants appearing! Very grateful for the fascinating seed I had earlier; with our warm early spring weather quite a bit is now germinating. Look forward to seeing how the garden develops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version