We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Strange name?  (Read 2237 times)

Kenneth K

Strange name?
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:42:36 PM »
I have been passive in this forum for a long time but I will try to start again. Just now I have a question that is a little odd. Some years ago I bought a small Rhododendron at Kiekeberg plant market just outside Hamburg Germany. I did not notice the label so well but when I came home I was rather confused. What I read was "Rhododendron scarted". I could not get it to make sense so I asked around but none of my garden friends hade any suggestion what it could mean. The first picture shows the pot and the label. The second shows flowers from last summer. I hope that maybe someone who knows the english language better than me and my swedish friends, and who knows something about Rhododendrons can help me with an educated guess. What can it be that I have in my garden.
Kenneth Karlsson, Göteborg, Sweden

arisaema

Re: Strange name?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »

Kenneth K

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »
Incredible! Just after five minutes I have got a very good guess. I think you are right. In april I am probably going back to Hamburg and Kiekeberg. I hope that I can meet the guy who sold me that plant and ask him if it is that hybride. Anyway it is the best guess so far.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »
Kenneth, that is the ‘magic’ of this Forum.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
Yes Kenneth it looks like R. Sarled to me as well.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »
My computer  has been playing up - but yes, that's a 'Sarled' - which can make a wonderful show plant in a pot!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Kenneth K

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »
Thank you for the comments. I am quite convinced that I got the right answer. It is a hybrid between R sargentianum and R trichostomum. The latter was earlier R ledoides. Thus the name of the cultivar: "sar" + "led" = 'Sarled'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal