We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germination in general  (Read 1841 times)

chrissyboi

Germination in general
« on: February 01, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »
Hi, now that I am being (pleasantly) overwhelmed by the results of seed exchanges (many thanks to donors however small), I do not have time to research germination methods for 200+ seeds. In previous years my method has been to soak (irises and similar), sow on surface of JI soil-based No1 (they might be growing in there for a while until i can prick out, having a day job is such a nuisance. So larger seeds get pressed into the top hi layer of compost for uniform moisture. Most others (pulsatilla, primulas, lilies, corydalis, arisaema, alstroemeria, fritillaries and so much more) get sown on the surface (and alstroemeria soaked and pushed down). All are then covered in 5-10mm ofhh grit, put outside in a drafty cold frame and left to it. This works for a lot of species but I also read that mecanopsis and some pulsatillas like room temperature, and there is so much on Liliums - immediate hypogeal, delayed hypogeal etc etc. For the quantities I'm after (personal use and the odd spare for eBay, am I doing ok? The one luxury I have is lime and refuse to fill my fridge with "baggies" of vermiculite when there's a whole natural climate cycle outsideand 😜🤣

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Germination in general
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
That’s the way I do mine.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

chrissyboi

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 04:49:21 PM »
Thanks David, that's going to save a lot of calendars, notebooks, thermometers and room for butter and milk

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »
But don't throw away your notebook!  Do keep records. You will never regret it.

I would suggest putting it all in the computer on a spreadsheet or some such, so it will be easily searchable in the future.  Devise a system and stick to it.  For instance, when you input data, decide once and for all if you will use the full genus name or just an abbreviation when you type a taxon name.  That way, when you search for something in the future, you will get all the relevant results.

If you think you're just going to remember, you're kidding yourself.  We've all found that out the hard way  by forgetting to label our pots, packets or baggies!
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Carolyn

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »
I find that meconopsis seeds germinate just fine if placed outdoors in the cold. They germinate when the temperature rises in spring and are sturdier, having grown in cool temperatures. The important thing is to sow very thinly and allow the seedlings to grow on in the same pot, planting them in individual pots when a bit bigger.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »
A reminder of the  useful info at  the  website  of the  Ontario Rock Garden Society -
https://onrockgarden.com/index.php/germination-guide/germination-guide
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 10:48:12 PM »
Hi Chrissy,

My general rules of thumb are:

- Sow seed as fresh as possible, unless you know it needs to be sown at a specific time of year (e.g. Fritillaria, Meconopsis);
- Perlite is a very good alternative to grit as it is lighter and lets some light through which can help stimulate germination.
- Sow in pots not seed trays to allow seedlings to root deeper and reduce the need for transplanting;
- Generally, the bigger the seed, the deeper it wants to be (though there are loads of exceptions to this);
- A bit of grit / perlite / substrate of choice under the seed is a good idea to improve drainage and reduce seeds rotting off;
- Include as much information as you can on the labels, including sowing date;
- If you can source them (not always easy), good quality pots are worth it as they have better drainage holes;
- Sow most seeds thinly to avoid the risk of damping off (however many bulb seeds do not seem susceptible and like company);
- Store unsown seed in a sealed dry box in the fridge;
- Lilies are easy to grow from seed, despite what certain seed companies would have you believe;
- Seed exchanges are absolutely brilliant;
- Germinating is the easy bit, it's the cultivation of small seedlings that is tricky.

In general I agree with you with regard to natural seasons. However, latterly I have been finding that keeping seedlings in the cold greenhouse or the fridge gives much better success rates than in cold frames. Our mild wet winters result in high losses from wet and slugs. I have even bought a germination fridge and for winter germinating bulbs (i.e. Fritillaria) the effect on germination rates (or more probably seedling survival) has been transformative.

Good luck! There are few things more satisfying than a drift of flowers you have grown from seed.

Best wishes, Tristan

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 07:32:20 AM »
the labels that become loose are a disaster .. and since a magpie visited my garden (since last year), these labels without pots are much more numerous. maybe we need black labels?
 the idea of ​​an annual sowing table is very good, I will do it. do you think that the seedling pot should be thrown away without germination?

some seeds (some Viola, Trillums, Corydalis, Cyclamen) are disseminated by ants, among others, those which present an elaiosome. The latter probably prefer to be buried, I imagine.

on the other hand, in the seedling pots, these seeds are still sometimes stolen by ants: this is how I find Corydalis or Violas elsewhere than in their seedling pot when no mature plant has flowered (I even have an Alstroemeria which germinated in 2 neighboring pots!)
 imagine what it gives, if several species of the same genus are contiguous!
Now I put my Viola seedlings in a plastic bag (or rather starch, for the planet) until they germinate, and my results are better; you just need to measure the humidity in the bag.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal