We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2008  (Read 49316 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Paeonia 2008
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »
Fermi well done ;D

The seeds were they fresh or dried from a seed-exchange?
If dried how did You do when sowing?
if fresh please let us now that one as well.
My record with sowing Paeonia is not the best but the ones that has succeeded to seed itself or be sown has more or less just ended up in the ground or in a pot when fresh and then had to take care of it self. That meant I planted in the Autumn and let them get the winter when it came. Some survive this treatment others do not.

Once again well done and great to see peonies.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2008, 07:12:15 AM »
Thank you, Hans, Paul and Joakim,
I'm pleased with how well this has done but I do hope it sets seed this year.
I collected the seed fresh in the UK in Autumn 1997, sowed it in Australia in our autumn the following year (I think) in a pot with grit on top, left open to the elements, but I was still in Melbourne then, so they would not have experienced a frost. I got 5 out of 5 to germinate but I only have the one plant left as I gave away 2 and lost the others.
I only got flowers for the first time in 2006 but the previous year the bud/s got frosted which is why it took so long I think. I suppose in a year with heavy frosts I'm likely to lose the flowers :(
Maybe it's doing well because of Global Warming? ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »
Fermi,

If you're successful with seed, or ever have a small division to spare, I'd be most interested.  I used to grow it previously but lost it one hot summer because it was too out in the open.  ::)  Live and learn.  I have a few species coming along from seed as well, but still many years off flowering.  I do grow a few other herbaceous and tree types in the garden as well.  Got to love such flowers from so little effort on our part!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2008, 08:23:46 AM »
Fermi  thanks for the information :) . Just a follow up question
Did You store the seed humid and cold or just cold or how did You store them?
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2008, 02:51:36 AM »
Fermi  thanks for the information :) . Just a follow up question
Did You store the seed humid and cold or just cold or how did You store them?
Kind regards
Joakim
Hi Joakim,
my standard way of storing is in an envelope in a box in a cool part of the house.
I did at one stage try storing the envelopes in a glass jar in the fridge but had a problem with condensation that was not solved by using silica gel.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal