We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2019  (Read 15901 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Trillium 2019
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2019, 07:12:11 AM »
Thank you Herman. I really like Trilliums, and mostly they grow well, but for some reason I lost my T.grandiflorum last winter.  :(
It wasn't even a very bad winter so I don't know why it never came up in the spring. I'm glad I have seedlings of T.grandiflorum growing now.
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »
Thank you Herman. I really like Trilliums, and mostly they grow well, but for some reason I lost my T.grandiflorum last winter.  :(
It wasn't even a very bad winter so I don't know why it never came up in the spring. I'm glad I have seedlings of T.grandiflorum growing now.
Leena, are you sure they are death? Can you check of there are still rhizomes in the ground that are intact? Previous summer was here very hot and dry so, a lot of Trilliums were very early in rest. The waterlevel is not normalized yet. I think that is why the flowering and coming up here was less then previous year.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
It was also here very dry last summer, and hot, and the bed where my T.grandiflorum was, was drier than the ones where T.chloropetalums are. I hope you are right, and I will dig carefully to see if the rhizome is intact. Can Trilliums be below ground for one summer and then still come up the next summer?

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
It was also here very dry last summer, and hot, and the bed where my T.grandiflorum was, was drier than the ones where T.chloropetalums are. I hope you are right, and I will dig carefully to see if the rhizome is intact. Can Trilliums be below ground for one summer and then still come up the next summer?
Leena,when the rhizome is not rotten away they can come up again.
Belgium

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2019, 01:56:18 AM »
I use to grow some martagon section lilies in full sun (L. tsingtauense x (L. distichum or L. medeoloides)).  Without any soil disturbance, some years they would simply decide not to grow above ground, and the following year would come up, happy as can be.

I had a botany professor and an English mycologist visit my garden just a few days ago, and I mentioned this to them.  Mike said, "Oh yes, Trilliums can do this, too."  Although he did not specify any particular species.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:22:22 AM by Rick R. »
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2019, 05:18:21 AM »
We also went on a "smelling spree".  My nose is different in that I don't always smell what most people do, and then I do smell some things most people don't, so it's especially good to to get my guests' opinions.

So it's good to know that my Trillium luteum does have a faint lemon smell (unbeknownst to me), but we all smelled the very strong and pleasant fruitiness of this sessile group hybrid:

Last year a friend sent me some Trillium recuvatum that he had been cultivating in his garden, from wild stock on his property.  When it first came up this spring, I wondered if they really were recurvatum, as the distinguishing features weren't that evident before flowering.  But the leaf color was incredibly dark and saturated.

But when it bloomed, there was no mistake:

I couldn't smell anything, but Mike said it had a slight spicy scent.
Rick Rodich

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2019, 09:09:22 AM »
Rick, nice Trilliums! Your recurvatum has very beautiful dark leaves.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
Rick, how suberb leaves!

I dug carefully where my T.grandiflorum should have been, and there was no rhizome, just slightly loose soil, so it has died. :(
Just two meters from it is one T.chloropetalum which is fine, as is T.nivale, so it is a mystery why this one disappeared.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2019, 07:33:52 PM »
Mycorrhizal association?  I have never seen T. grandiflorum where T. nivale grow, although T. cernuum grow with both of them.  We don't have any native triliums in Minnesota that I have seen that are related to chloropetalum.  Grandiflorum seems to like acid soils, so I don't think there is any problem there.
Rick Rodich

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2019, 05:11:54 PM »
Plants native to the west coast of North America are accustomed to rainless summers (unless they grow in Alaska, which seems to get daily rain).  That is probably why your chloropetalum survived while the eastern grandiflorum, which expects rain in the summer, did not.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Leena

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2019, 06:24:23 PM »
Plants native to the west coast of North America are accustomed to rainless summers (unless they grow in Alaska, which seems to get daily rain).  That is probably why your chloropetalum survived while the eastern grandiflorum, which expects rain in the summer, did not.

Diane, thank you for this information.  :)  I will have to make sure I plant my T.grandiflorum seedlings to a place which keeps moist more, and doesn't dry out!

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2019, 01:03:43 AM »

I beg to differ about T. grandiflorum - in SW Ontario most summers are hot and extremely dry, especially in the last years. Large populations grow very well in shaded deciduous forests. Of course it rains once in a while. but they withstand quite some drought at times (the soil type is very important probably).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2019, 01:05:16 AM »
And a picture with T. cuneatum, the sweet Betsy. I think I posted the luteum in the general thread.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2019, 07:45:52 AM »
That is a very beautiful plant! Is that Primula sieboldii in the background? Here it doesn't flower yet.
By the way, I smelled my T.luteum yesterday and it does have lemony smell, not strong but very nice. :)

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2019, 08:45:53 AM »
I have this Primula or a similar variety under the name Primula sieboldii "Tah-Ni". still in pot, and I do not know where I should install it in the garden. yours seems to be pleased with its Trillium.

I despair with my seedlings of Trillium: nothing but a small Trillium grandiflorum of 3 cm on 0.3 cm on at least 10 attempts over 3 years I would try again the one you find "easy" but if nothing else. .. ???

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal