We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2019  (Read 15898 times)

Véronique Macrelle

Re: Trillium 2019
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2019, 12:10:39 PM »
thanks for the determination  :).
I do not find it as beautiful as Trillium luteum

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »
thanks for the determination  :).
I do not find it as beautiful as Trillium luteum
Véronique, for Trillium recurvatum the sepals must bend down when the flowers are open.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 09:36:44 AM »
Trillium ovatum also gets a nice colour when the flower is getting older.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »
Trillium grandiflorum f. roseum start to flower! Normal grandiflorum is starting white.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
Trillium cuneatum
Belgium

Mariette

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 10:27:22 PM »
This one came to me as Trillium cuneatum, but I think it´s Trillium chloropetalum. I like its brilliant colour and good clumping habit; it´s growing in 4 different places in the garden since I got it 9 years ago.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »
This one came to me as Trillium cuneatum, but I think it´s Trillium chloropetalum. I like its brilliant colour and good clumping habit; it´s growing in 4 different places in the garden since I got it 9 years ago.
Mariette, maybe it is Trillium angustipetalum! Does it smell musty? Chloropetalum smells like a rose.
Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
In the Trillium 2017 thread (Replies 135-137) I posted a picture of what I thought might be Trillium rivale leaves, Maggi replied that it wasn't a Trillium and after a bit of excavation it turned out to be a self-sown seedling of Ompholodes cappadocica 'Cherry Ingram' (yes, I know!!)

I persevered, and WOW (at least thrice) there is a Trillium rivale grown from a small bulb I bought in 2016. Aren't I the very happy one ;D

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mariette

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 08:23:25 PM »
Mariette, maybe it is Trillium angustipetalum! Does it smell musty? Chloropetalum smells like a rose.
Thank You for pointing to the scent, Herman! There is hardly any to discover, but it´s definitely not pleasant. Very unlike my Trillium albidum, for instance.
The slender habit of the tepals made me consider Trillium angustipetalum, too. Case & Case tell the tepals of this species should be 7 - 14 mm wide, whereas chloropetalum may measure 15 -23 mm. As my plant has tepals 20 mm broad,  I thought it to be Trillium chloropetalum.  A special feature is that a clump lifted splits into several smaller ones without dividing.
The clump shown yesterday has rather long telpals, measuring 9 cm. Usually they are 7 -8 cm, like with this clump.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2019, 06:48:04 PM »
Trillium grandiflorum f. roseum
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
Last summer I got fresh seeds of Trillium hibbersonii, and look now! So many seedlings coming up. :) :)
I usually keep Trillium seedlings in the same pot until their second year when I move them to a bigger pot as a clump, but should I divide these already this summer to several pots?
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2019, 03:27:21 PM »
Last summer I got fresh seeds of Trillium hibbersonii, and look now! So many seedlings coming up. :) :)
I usually keep Trillium seedlings in the same pot until their second year when I move them to a bigger pot as a clump, but should I divide these already this summer to several pots?
Leena, nice to see so many seedlings of hibbersoni.
I would leave the seedlings together and put them as a clump in a larger pot (after summer). After you have seen 3 leaves you can divide them in different pots, I wait to plant them out in the garden till they have flowered.
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2019, 07:21:05 AM »
I would leave the seedlings together and put them as a clump in a larger pot (after summer). After you have seen 3 leaves you can divide them in different pots, I wait to plant them out in the garden till they have flowered.

Thank you, I will do that. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »
This one I´ve got as Trillium albidum. The anthersacs should open latrorse, but to me it looks introrse. Probably a matter for more knowledgeble people.

Mariette

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
This bunch of seedlings is grown from US - seed, the donor wrote: sessile - type, 25 cm, maroon. The flowers start a more brilliant red, but later fade to a more brownish tone. Any ideas what species this might be?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal