We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus - January, February 2019  (Read 15072 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Narcissus - January, February 2019
« on: January 05, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
New year new flowers  ;)

Narcissus albidus SF.110 x Atlas Gold
North of France

Rob-Rah

Re: Narcissus - January, February 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »
This is my pot of Narcissus romieuxii which always comes into flower around Christmas. It's never been all that floriferous, with maybe 1-3 flowers in the whole pot of some 20+ bulbs by now, but last year I tried the suggestion of giving the dormant pot a really good baking, close up under the glass in full sun, and it's done far better now for that!

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:57 AM »
I'm finding that my hoops are flowering exceptionally well this year too - thank you to last year's hot summer!
We have a feast of beautiful hoop petticoat daffs out at present.
Three interesting species :
N. cantabricus cantabricus

N. romanensis ( syn N. x romanensis, N. x barrae, N. x neocarpetanus). N. romanensis is a fertile hybrid of N. bulbocodium and N. cantabricus.

Narcissus romieuxii ssp albidus var zaianicus M168

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:44:52 PM by Maggi Young »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »
Several clones of our various Moon series hoops are looking spectacular :
Unnamed Moon Group clone S
Callisto

Elara

Tethys

Themisto
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:45:36 PM by Maggi Young »

www.dryad-home.co.uk

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
“2802 Narcissus bulbocodium pallidus ex SBL 237” from SRGC 2014-2015 Seed Exchange list is just coming into its first flowering season.
Thank you very much for the seed donner and all members of the Seed Team :)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »
New year new flowers  ;)
Narcissus albidus SF.110 x Atlas Gold
A nice hybrid hoop, Yann ;)

This is my pot of Narcissus romieuxii which always comes into flower around Christmas. It's never been all that floriferous, with maybe 1-3 flowers in the whole pot of some 20+ bulbs by now, but last year I tried the suggestion of giving the dormant pot a really good baking, close up under the glass in full sun, and it's done far better now for that!
I'll try baking to my some shy flowering hoop daffs this year. Thanks, Rob-Rah :)

I'm finding that my hoops are flowering exceptionally well this year too - thank you to last year's hot summer!
We have a feast of beautiful hoop petticoat daffs out at present.
Wonderful, Anne :o 8)
Tatsuo Y

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 01:38:46 PM »
Nice pots Tatsuo and Anne. I'm impressed by how many flowers per pot you have !

Neverthless, can I ask how sure you are about the traceability of your bulbs ?
Anne, your N. romanensis looks very white and so closed to N. cantabricus. Pictures of this hybrid by Rafa ( https://daffnet.org/2016/02/some-narcissus-from-toledo-spain/ ) show some pale yellow flowers. I don't even know how to differenciate some bulbocodium graellsi from romanensis except than one should make some big population and the other should be isolate close to at least one parent ?

Tatuso : is it not a Narcissus romieuxii ? Or maybe pallidus is an hybrid between romieuxii and a moroccan bulbocodium subspecies ? Pictures of this variety by Ian (http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2004/200304/log.html) don't show such a petunoides form. Finally, googling with SBL237, I found some reference from Monocots nursery labelling SBL237 as Narcissus romieuxii ssp. romieuxii var pallidus : http://dafflibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/Monocot-Nursery-2003.pdf

Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »

Tatuso : is it not a Narcissus romieuxii ? Or maybe pallidus is an hybrid between romieuxii and a moroccan bulbocodium subspecies ? Pictures of this variety by Ian (http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2004/200304/log.html) don't show such a petunoides form. Finally, googling with SBL237, I found some reference from Monocots nursery labelling SBL237 as Narcissus romieuxii ssp. romieuxii var pallidus : http://dafflibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/Monocot-Nursery-2003.pdf

Thank you, Kabara :) and a good question. Mine has very nice N. romiexii scent so it's a N. romieuxii or a romieuxii hybrid with other hoop daff species.

Yes, Narcissus bulbocodium f. pallidus has now been recognised as a synonym of Narcissus romieuxii subsp. albidus by The Plant List. But I usually use the name on the label when I received. I think it's the simplest way to avoid confusing between the other SRGC members who got the same seeds from 2014-2015 SeedEx.   

Narcissus bulbocodium f. pallidus Gattef. & Weiller
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-310902
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:35:32 PM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »
But I usually use the name on the label when I received. I think it's the simplest way to avoid confusing between the other SRGC members who got the same seeds from 2014-2015 SeedEx.   
Yes, it's a good thing to track and give the name and the origin of your plants. Your pictures are also used as a reference for all the people like me who doesn't have such a collection and I was just surprised of such a petunoide shape for a bulbocodium.
There's so much confusion about the names of Narcissus, so much names which are synonym or have very few taxonomical value ! I try to have a basic collection of the different species;, starting with the most different one to have a good sample of the genus and then refine it. Every time I see a new name, I say to myself : what is it ? is it a new species ? is it different from the one I have or just a subspecies or a color variant ? I'm spending lot of time to compare different pictures, trying to find the differences, reading old descriptions... but I'm still often lost ! And I'm a bit lost with your daffodil !

For example, even if it was label  "Narcissus bulbocodium pallidus" it was also "ex-SBL237" and this reference was released as  Narcissus romieuxii ssp. romieuxii var pallidus (which may have been synonymized in th SRGC index as Narcissus bulbocodium pallidus ?!) by Monocots nursery in 2003 and then by Kurt Vickery. But this name is only used by M. Salmon, it's even not listed in the Botanical names in the genus Narcissus of RHS (https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/plant-registration-forms/daffalpha.pdf).

Using the synonym recognised by the plantlist Narcissus bulbocodium f. pallidus = Narcissus romieuxii subsp. albidus

Archibald also released the species N. bulbocodium var pallidus JJA 696.600 (You grow it  :)) and, in the description of the plant in August 2001, he said that this has been named N jacquemoudii by Fernandez-Casas. Now, the Plantlist recognise N. jacquemoudii as Narcissus romieuxii subsp. jacquemoudii. So using the synonym used by Archibald and the Plant List,  N. bulbocodium var pallidus =Narcissus romieuxii subsp. jacquemoudii !
Using synonyms, you think to walk on a circle but you don't come back at the same place ....
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

ielaba2011

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 11:59:26 PM »
Anne, that photo of N. cantabricus cantabricus is probably one of the most beautiful pots I've seen...love how full and elegant it looks.
Thank you for sharing, all these petticoat are exquisite!  ::)
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
Using synonyms, you think to walk on a circle but you don't come back at the same place ....
;D ;D ;D ::)
Thank you again for the information, Karaba  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:50:11 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
Some daffodils today :)

Narcissus papyraceus, M.S.427, Spain, Antequera.

Narcissus romieuxii ‘春の光 (haru-no-hikari)’
(N. rom. var. mesatlanticus x N. rom. subsp. albidus var. zaianicus)
A deeper yellow selection from seedlings.

Narcissus romieuxii, A.B.S.4384, Morocco, Ain Leuh.
A variation of seedlings from a single seed pod by self-pollinating.
Tatsuo Y

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 08:45:08 PM »

Neverthless, can I ask how sure you are about the traceability of your bulbs ?
Anne, your N. romanensis looks very white and so closed to N. cantabricus. Pictures of this hybrid by Rafa ( https://daffnet.org/2016/02/some-narcissus-from-toledo-spain/ ) show some pale yellow flowers. I don't even know how to differenciate some bulbocodium graellsi from romanensis except than one should make some big population and the other should be isolate close to at least one parent ?

Karaba - you are right, I would not be expert enough to identify these myself. These came from seed of romanensis from Rafa himself.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »
Some daffodils today :)

Narcissus papyraceus, M.S.427, Spain, Antequera.

Narcissus romieuxii ‘春の光 (haru-no-hikari)’
(N. rom. var. mesatlanticus x N. rom. subsp. albidus var. zaianicus)
A deeper yellow selection from seedlings.

Narcissus romieuxii, A.B.S.4384, Morocco, Ain Leuh.
A variation of seedlings from a single seed pod by self-pollinating.

Tatsuo - these look fabulous!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
If it works, I have just updated my website gallery with up to date images of Galanthus and Narcissus cultivars and species. I hope it will be a useful resource for everyone. Find it here:
https://www.dryad-home.co.uk/gallery

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal