We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris reticulata 2019  (Read 11205 times)

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Re: Iris reticulata 2019
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »
What’s the secret for growing Iris winkleri Janis?
I can’t go to the grave without knowing!  ;)

I bought it from you twice many years ago. I promptly killed it on both occasions without ever even seeing it in flower. The bulbs rotted between potting in the Autumn and shooting in Spring. This is no reflection upon the quality of the bulbs you supplied, which were excellent, but are clearly due to deficiencies on my part.

Iris winkleri is used to beat me down. Whenever I discuss buying an expensive plant with my wife she reminds me of Iris winkleri!  ::)
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
Some Russians put under doubt Iris pskemensis writing on Facebook that there are no difference with Iris kolpakowskiana. So this morning I visited greenhouse for some pictures. On the first picture both - on left kolpakowskiana, on right pskemensis. I specially replaced pot to pot for both flowers will be side by side, for you can see and compare both species. Some of them wrote me that he saw I. kolpakowskiana even at 4200 m altitude, starting from 700 m. Relating high altitudes there are next 2 pictures from 3.500 m altitude. Someone could again ask - what is difference with kolpakowskiana, reply is - you must see the bulb, completely different covers and colour. And the last picture - Iris sisianica - again I could be asked - what is the difference with ordinary reticulata - reply again, check the bulbs. All pictures made this morning, still blooms some kolpakowskiana, in full bloom pskemensis (it always follows kolpakowskianas) and sisianica (all other reticulatas already finished). For winkleri - both are the first two flowers, several still coming. If we will follow my oponents - there are no need for different species for irises... all of them has same type of flower ;D ;D ;D

More  from Facebook and Janis  on the  seedpods of these iris ...

J.J. :Maybe I am wrong ,but the seedpod of Iris pskemensis , always is "higher" up on the stem, whereas many other reticulatas the seedpod is half hidden under soil level?

Jānis Rukšāns:  Here we must regard only so named "alatavias" (CA reticulatas). Here picture of kolpakowskiana seedpods and in next entry - pskemensis seedpod. In all "alatavias" seedpod is in some distance from ground.

kolpakowskiana seedpods

pskemensis seedpod
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »
What’s the secret for growing Iris winkleri Janis?
Iris winkleri is used to beat me down. Whenever I discuss buying an expensive plant with my wife she reminds me of Iris winkleri!  ::)

I'm killing mine very often, too. Saved by regular hand-pollinating and sawing of seeds. Now I have around 10 blooming bulbs. Suppose that problem is too good conditions. Bulbs are growing too large and as result rots in bulb shed.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »
Will you ever offer it for sale again?
It might be growable in a pumice soil.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
Today pictured quite unusual and beautiful colour form of Iris kolpakowskiana from Kirghizia. In background more common color form notable.
Regarding availability of pskemensis and kolpakowskiana - both were offered this year, but as my quota is full I was forced to stop accepting of orders for this season
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Alan McMurtrie

• Its a Smile
    • Reticulata Iris
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 04:40:15 AM »
Blooming for the very first time

14-AA-1

14-KV-1

11-BA-1

12-JG-1 (new last year)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
Our first retic is Iris 'Harmony'
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »
A few more retics in bloom this week:
Retic Iris 'Pauline'
Retic Iris 'Purple Gem'
Retic Iris 'Gordon'
Retic Iris 'Alida'
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal