We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in January 2019  (Read 18518 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Galanthus in January 2019
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
Galanthus 'Merlin'

Galanthus 'Tubby Merlin'

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Edgar Wills

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2019, 02:45:55 PM »
Galanthus woronowii ‘Elizabeth Harrison’ yesterday, bought from Edulis nursery. One of my favorite drops.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:48:39 PM by Edgar Wills »
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

Mariette

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2019, 06:56:51 PM »
This is still on my wish-list, very nice, Edgar! The green leaves set off the yellow ovary and marks far better than the greyish leaves of most other snowdrops do!

David Lowndes

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:45 PM »
Nice ikariae! I have a bit of difficulty seeing it on my phone screen, but is it correct that emerald isle has larger marks on the outers than alexandrite?
Alexandrite has more rounded outers and is a more robust plant than Emerald Isle. The marks on Alexandrite are on the apical third of the segment whereas those on EI are longer, and located in the middle of what is a more elongated segment. The marks are of similar intensity on both (quite pale at the moment).  At least that is the situation now with this small sample. I have a little patch of unnamed ikariae growing in the garden.  They always do well but flowers not sufficiently open for comparison right now.

Edgar Wills

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
This is still on my wish-list, very nice, Edgar! The green leaves set off the yellow ovary and marks far better than the greyish leaves of most other snowdrops do!

Ha, exactly! I do like the greyish leaves of other snowdrops too though. :)

Alexandrite has more rounded outers and is a more robust plant than Emerald Isle. The marks on Alexandrite are on the apical third of the segment whereas those on EI are longer, and located in the middle of what is a more elongated segment. The marks are of similar intensity on both (quite pale at the moment).  At least that is the situation now with this small sample. I have a little patch of unnamed ikariae growing in the garden.  They always do well but flowers not sufficiently open for comparison right now.
Ahh thanks for the explanation, I guess both varieties have their advantages.
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
A German theme to this morning's patrol.

First up Schwefelfee, a pretty yellow from Andreas Handel, translated as Brimstone/Sulphur Fairy, with a lovely sulphur colour on the inner. Increasing steadily. Found by a forester in woodland near Lingen.
632728-0

Next, Schlyters Dwärg, as the name suggests a diminutive drop, a hybrid of G. nivalis and G. gracilis, also from Andreas. A vigorous grower both in pots and the garden.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:22:24 PM by Maggi Young »

Mariette

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »
Among the many G. elwesii var. monostictus flowering now, ´Long Drop´stands out.

David Lowndes

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2019, 03:55:06 PM »
Long Drop is a very fine Snowdrop.

Anne Repnow

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2019, 05:27:56 PM »
Long Drop is lovely, Mariette! Are those ridged leaves a normal variation in G. elwesii? I ask because a drop kindly given to me by Melvyn shows similar pleating (see photo)

The second photo is G. 'Miss Wilmott' with 4 scapes this year
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Mariette

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »
Among the 600 G. elwesii in mixture I bought over the years, as well as in some named varieties of G. elwesii, there are many with the  leaves more or less pleated, Anne.

When I receive snowdrops dormant, I pot them and keep them in the green-house till flowering-time. There are flowering ´Robyn Janey´ (on the left) and ´Miss Willmott´side-by-side now, and I´m surprised how similar the flowers look. Both show two  scapes - I´m looking forward to see my ´Miss Willmott´ doing as well as Yours next year!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:10:44 PM by Mariette »

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2019, 07:31:26 PM »
'Long Drop' really stands out. :)

About 'Emerald Isle': it is one of the few that I have lost. It flowered the first spring here, but failed to come up after last winter, which was hard. Maybe it is not hardy enough to grow here?

A few of my "not so special" ones.

But they look fine and grow well. That is important! :)
Leena from south of Finland

Mariette

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2019, 09:00:45 PM »

About 'Emerald Isle': it is one of the few that I have lost. It flowered the first spring here, but failed to come up after last winter, which was hard. Maybe it is not hardy enough to grow here?

Galanthus ikariae is regarded to be not hardy in most parts of Germany, so it ought to be worse in Finland, I´m afraid.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2019, 02:46:32 PM »
The yellows are coming thick and fast here in the sunshine!

First up, Belvedere Gold, a slow plant to increase, but getting there. This is one of my spares, in a pot.

632770-0

Next Utrecht Gold looking lovely and clumping well, a good garden plant as well as pots. Looks lovely in the bright sunshine.

Next Donaugold, very small and slow growing yellow.

632774-2

Finally Bill Boardman, always performs well and quite early for me this year.

632776-3

ielaba2011

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2019, 03:51:52 PM »
some different forms of Galanthus elwesii and Galanthus woronowii still not open.
I was expecting all bulbs of Galanthus elwesii looking rather the same plant, but it seems like they sell different cultivars as Galanthus elwesii.
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
These photos of Galanthus 'Brenda Troyle are from David Shaw today - thanks to Carol for  passing them on.

632802-0

632804-1
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal