We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: unknown primula  (Read 2647 times)

tboland

unknown primula
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:25:20 AM »
This primula is in the collection at our botanical garden, labelled as flagellaris.  The leaves appear too smooth margins for that species.  The leaves are actually quite glandular.  Anyone recognize it?

Todd Boland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, zone 5b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: unknown primula
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:10:11 AM »
From the foliage it looks like something in the auricula group. Flagellaris is (I think) a petiolarid species. Or am I thinking of something else altogether?  :-[ :-\  :-[
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martijn

• Kwekerij ´De Reuvenkamp´
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:50:45 PM »
no idea what is is but it has nice flowers! Leaves look like auricula/hirsuta flowers something from minima or tyrolensis.

Is it fertile? You don´t happen to know the origin?

Greetz, Martijn
Martijn Jansen, Tonden, The Netherlands
www.dereuvenkamp.nl

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
Todd, do you have access to 'Primula' by John Richards? If not let me know and I will quote what he says about Primula flagellaris.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
Looks like Integrifolia, but maybe not.

tboland

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:19:10 AM »
I'm tending towards a minima type hybrid...it is certainly in the hirsuta group....the leaves are not quite tootheds enough for minima but the flowers are nearly stemless..I'll have to check the records at work...most of the primula came from SRGS seed back in the early '80's but others came a now defunked alpine nursery in British Columbia.
Todd Boland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, zone 5b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal