Specific Families and Genera > Ferns

Does anyone grow Botrychium (Moonwort)

<< < (2/3) > >>

annew:
Hi James, can you tell us how you transplanted them?

Karaba:
Botrychium lunaria is quite common in Alps (as opposed to the others species which are rare to very very rare). I've transplanted some this summer but I don't know if it has succeeded. There's still a bud as far as I can see. Botrychium seems quite like Ophioglossum (same family). When resting, it has a bud and roots nearly like a perenial plant. From this doc, it seems that Botrychium doesn't make any stolon (Ophioglossum does).

ian mcdonald:
Anne, I have tried for some years to find nurseries that supply our smaller native ferns. I don,t know if the lack of availability is because they are subject to endangered status or not garden-worthy. Perhaps the "older" nurserymen no longer have plants on their nurseries. I would not buy any plants from a supplier if I thought the plants came from the wild.

Hoy:
We have Botrychium lunaria at our mountain cabin. There it is quite common. I have never transplanted it but it seems to be fairly quick from spores as small plants often appear in new places, also where the soil is new and not containing roots.

Ali Baba:
If I remember correctly Botrychium has a mycorrhizal association with a fungus at the gametophyte stage which I guess would make it tricky to raise from spores.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version