We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: november in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 3834 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: november in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »

24 November - Some nice plant in the garden.

Stipa lemmonii var. lemmonii seems to look good in the garden during all the seasons. This California native perennial bunch grass is very drought tolerant. I rarely or never water it during the summer and it still looks great. Near by and newly planted, is Stipa cernua, Nodding Neddle Grass, from the low elevation chaparral country. This species was once widespread throughout the Sierra Nevada Foothill region of California, but now it is rarely seen. It and other native perennial bunch grasses have been replaced by invasive annual grass species and out-of-control wildfires.

Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum requires very little water during the summer and looks good even out of bloom. It is very easy-to-grow. Behind is a large Salvia apiana, equally easy-to-gro

This Eriogonum seedling grew from a batch of seed I gathered in the wild. It grew with seedlings of Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum. It is very different and I will keep an eye on it.

In California, Eriogonum grande var. rubescens is very common in cultivation. I grow mine from seed. There tends to be much variation in the seedlings. Good forms can be selected from a batch of seedling for good plant habit and flower color (the color can vary widely from pale pink to deep brick red).

Salvia sonomensis is always a favorite. The foliage has a great scent. Needs no summer irrigation, and still looks great.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »
Nice native plants, Robert.  :)
Here, cold and snow arrived very early this year, luckily the Colchicum autumnale flowered in October.

It is good now you have snow to protect your plants from cold. :)
Here the autumn was good and unusually warm, and my first Colchicums started to flower already in August (C.bivonae). Then in September and October many hybrids and C.autumnale flowered, and now 'Poseidon' was the last one. If winter had come here early I don't think it would have had time to flower. It is also a hybrid, but I don't know it's parentage.

Leena from south of Finland

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 11:46:58 PM »
Nice native plants, Robert.  :)

Thank you Leena.  :)

The autumn color in our neighborhood has been outstanding this year.  :)

The best news is that rain arrived on 22 November. The rain cleared out the terrible smoke from the Camp Fire in Paradise, California and put the fire out!  :)   8)

More rain and snow is on its way with low snow levels (eventually). This is good news for us. On 1 December I will be at the farm in El Dorado County. It might snow at the farm but this is too far into the future for me to forecast.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Roma

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:12 PM »
This Sanvitalia has survived 2 winters in a well drained south facing spot against the house wall.  It is a self sown seedling from one I had in a pot.  I don't know its hardiness.  It is usually sold as a container plant.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ruweiss

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
The weather in our region is still rather mild, there were only a few frosty nights until now.
Berkheya purpurea, a thistle from South Africa can be highly recommended. Sown in January
2018 it flowered several times until today and I hope, that it is hardy enough to survive our
winter.
Primula palinuri is a winter grower, growth started again some time ago.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal