We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla 2008  (Read 7466 times)

Olga Bondareva

Re: Scilla 2008
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

tboland

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »
Olga, I cannot comment on the ID of the possible S. vinogradovii, but it certainly is a beauty! 

In regards to siberica alba, I'll have to keep an eye on mine when they open.  I started with one clump but now they are popping up all over the garden...makes me wonder if some of my blues ones simply mutated as I have tons of those.

My X Chionodoxa allenii arose spontaneously when I conveniently planted C. forbesii  'Pink Giant' next to S. bifolia 'Rosea'...I was hoping for a pink allenii but genetics being what it is, they turned out standard blue.
Todd Boland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, zone 5b

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »
Olga ,does'nt your Caucasian Scilla look almost identical to Gote's Scilla melaina ?
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
Otto

Thanks for version! Main is lighter. It is light blue turning to almost white with blue veins. Scilla melaina is endemic to Turkey… Too far from Sochi. :)

Oh, I see image #4 from Hans! Scill.-spec.Vin.jpg Hans, does “Vin” mean vinogradovii? I can not open big image but this scilla seems to be similar to mine!

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »
Olga
Your Scila siberica alba looks like I think it should. However, there is a different one - not a clone; it seeds itself - that has been around in west Europe for many decades that seems to be white Scila siberica with tepals turned back. That is the one I have and which has been shown above. The one you have is new to me.
My Chionodoxas occasionally turn out white but although I have as many Scilla sibericas, there has never been any one like yours.
Talking about Scillas; do you think the name on my melaina is correct. I have no other authority than the suppliers name. A confirmation would be welcome.
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »
Gote

My S. sibirica Alba sows itself to. I grow it far enough from typical form. One day they will mit… It is not Russian selection. I remember I bought it at flower shop. We can swap. :)

I also have my own white and pale-blue selections. But only several bulbs. Every spring I am planning to go for scilla selection. And every spring I find more interesting things to do.

Here are S. sibirica forms in my colleague’s garden:

http://photofile.ru/photo/olga_bond/2015606/76887062.jpg

I’ve never seen S. melaina. Wish I visited Turkey. :) But shown by Hans scilla looks like mine.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:41:19 PM by Olga Bondareva »

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:27 AM »
Nice difference between the scillas Olga. I have tried to select scillas but i have very little variation.
Just like you, I try to select various spring flowers but spring is such a busy time so I do not even get half done :-\
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal