We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alpines for autumn and winter foliage  (Read 1453 times)

Vlădoiu Antonio-Florentin

Alpines for autumn and winter foliage
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »
I am new on this group.
I am searching for some alpine species (Shrubs,cushion plants,etc) that got nice autumn or winter (or both!) foliage.
Also,i want to know if Vacciniun vitis-idaea and Salix retusa got showy foliage in autumn.
Pictures are welcome!
*Some nice signature*

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Alpines for autumn and winter foliage
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »
V vitis -idaea stays green, here, as far as I have noticed.... V caespitosa ( which I think is my locally most common) has very good colour, varying with light and temperature, like everything else

Paederota bonarota has nice golden colour sometimes...
Potentilla pulvinaris has some nice subtle silvery brown colour.. I'll watch for pics and think of others..

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
I think that autumn/winter colouring of  foliage  can be  variable, according to  weather conditions.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 06:20:55 AM »
Three different coloured plants, growing in my dolomite rock garden, which stay stabile over the winter time!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »
I think that autumn/winter colouring of  foliage  can be  variable, according to  weather conditions.

very true--weather and exposure; dry conditions are supposed to help fall colour for trees; no doubt other factors. sunlight is another--the same species in shade will often have much more subdued colour than in a sunny spot; Many species, though, if they are inclined to good colour will have *some* kind of interesting colour, though varying.. compared to species that always go brown..

Vlădoiu Antonio-Florentin

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »
very true--weather and exposure; dry conditions are supposed to help fall colour for trees; no doubt other factors. sunlight is another--the same species in shade will often have much more subdued colour than in a sunny spot; Many species, though, if they are inclined to good colour will have *some* kind of interesting colour, though varying.. compared to species that always go brown..
Yep,that's true,a good example is Silene acaulis,in the wild it can get a nice rusty colour,while in cultivation it is almost always yellowish brown (though it may vary). Well,i am just looking for non evergreen species,or species that got a change in colour in winter,like certain Thyme species.
*Some nice signature*

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal