We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is Eritrichium nanum growable in the UK?  (Read 1405 times)

AlpinealexO

• The rosette life chose me
Is Eritrichium nanum growable in the UK?
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »
Hi all,

I have just received a very promising plant of Eritrichium nanum, which I do not want to upset!
Are their any growing tips for me so I have the best chance to keep it alive over the winter and beyond?

Thanks,

Alex   

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Is Eritrichium nanum growable in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:25:08 PM »
Crumbs - I see why  you are anxious!    Even Philippe Chauvet at the Haut-Chitelet  Alpine Garden  has problems with the King of the Alps! http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=7382.0

Had you thought of making a roof garden on the top of a  30 story building? That might work.  ;)

Drainage that is  really fierce and  a good  circulation of air is  key, I reckon.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

AlpinealexO

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »
Hi Maggi,

well I've got it in around 20% perlite 20% JI2 and 60% grit, so drainage doesn't seem the problem, I've also got it in a sheltered cold frame so wont get wet and hoping there will be enough air, as I do live in a basement flat .... so not exactly 30th floor...more like -1 ha-ha, maybe I will be lucky?

thanks.

Dionysia

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
Hello Alex
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your placement. Although I haven't had one for years I've grown both the European and American forms to showable size three or four times. I know you know how to grow Dionysias and would suggest a similar regime but with a neutral to slightly acid mix unless it's ssp jankae. Good luck.
Paul
Paul
 in Chippenham

AlpinealexO

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 10:08:11 PM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks very much, I assumed a similar regime but good to know, I think I might double pot the plant in spring so I will look to alter its current mix slightly so the plant doesnt feel a huge material change in the pot.

cheers,
Alex 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal