We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium sherriffiae  (Read 1174 times)

MelH

Lilium sherriffiae
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:15:06 AM »
Hello,  I'm new to the forum and am hoping that someone out there may be able to help me obtain some seeds of Lilium sherriffiae.

I am a fairly experienced lily grower with over eighty taxa in my collection and my climate is a cool and moist one similar to Scotland, though a little milder, so I think it might do well here.  My plant collection also includes some interesting Arisaema and Polygonatum species so hopefully I might have something of interest to offer in return.

Here's hoping!

MelH

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Re: Lilium sherriffiae
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
Hi Mel,

It would be great if you got a positive response to this request but I fear that is unlikely.
As far as I am aware L. sherriffiae is no longer in cultivation. There is mention of it in a 2010 SRGC-supported expedition to Bhutan here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2014Jul241406233461IRG55.pdf

Superficially it would seem to resemble some of the other Sino-himalayan lilies that are now slowly becoming available. The pink-flowered form mentioned in the article above is not dissimilar to some smaller forms of L. bakerianum rubrum whilst L. georgei/saccatum and some forms of L. souliei resemble the other image of L. sherriffiae in the trip report.

What Sino-himalayan lily species are you currently growing?
Some of the recently available (from seed) Chinese lilies should prove a good ‘proxy’ for L. sherriffiae but are probably just as difficult to grow.

Best,
Steve
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal