We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons April 2008  (Read 10877 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Rhododendrons April 2008
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
I have attached the label and this is as much as I know about it.  Ginny Gee always does well, as the picture shows.
Another dwarf I bought from Glendoick last week is Rh. Proteoides. It looked interesting and again, I bought it on a whim.  I have now found out that it is grown for its shape and foliage as it takes 40 years to flower !!!!  That's me well and truly stuffed !  Maybe I can pass it on to my grandchildren.

Tom

Lucky you snagging that proteoides.  You may not have to wait so long. Have you seen Jens Birck's album? The link is post under that topic under rhododendron. Go to the Taliensia folder and click on it. He has a dazzling array of prots from cw seed. Some have bloomed already.

Lovely Ginny Gee and it seems to be a universal good-doer.  Good to hear there are more keiskei x spiciferums coming out of Glendoick. Got mine in 2001 and they were named shortly thereafter.

johnw - +5c and overcast
johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 05:54:35 PM »
Here's that link again, for good measure:
http://picasaweb.google.dk/birck.denmark   or   www.picasaweb.google.dk/birck.denmark

I too was going to say that you may not have to wait so long, Tom........I was going to tell you that I waited twenty years.... and then it died  :'( :-X :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 11:53:54 PM »
Here's that link again, for good measure:
http://picasaweb.google.dk/birck.denmark   or   www.picasaweb.google.dk/birck.denmark

I too was going to say that you may not have to wait so long, Tom........I was going to tell you that I waited twenty years.... and then it died  :'( :-X :(

Just so you don't feel so bad Maggi, my oldest and best proteoides died the day after Jens Birck left here. I think it must have sustained root damage from rocking about or being grazed by falling limbs in 172km winds - Hurricane Juan the day Jens arrived here.

I do have some young ones coming along. I'll be 100+ years old by the time they flower.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal