We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2018 in the NH  (Read 10544 times)

François Lambert

Re: September 2018 in the NH
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
Recycling is good, and when you recycle the potting soil including the dead plant you can get nice surprises.

I noticed something growing in pot of ornamental ginger and just let it grow because it looked like an interesting plant.  At first I thought it was a banana tree for the shape of the leaves and the incredibly fast growth, but now that it flowers I see it's a canna.

I had a similar canna seedling a number of years ago, but that one died, apparently these seedlings don't need a winter rest and will in fact die if they can't continue to grow during winter.  I do remember however that I got some seeds from that previous one ... So I may just have some kind of annual canna from seed here.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:52:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »
cohan,

I enjoyed our landscape and sky scenes posted on the 12th.

Very  8) and incredibly beautiful countryside.

We finally had some overcast skies yesterday. The cold air has yet to move in.

I just looked at the latest satellite image. I looks like the leading edge of the cold air mass will finally arrive later today. It has been very sluggish and slow to arrive. I am wondering how much it has been modified by its slow journey southward.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:23:40 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
Some whiteness this morning.. snow in September is completely normal here, and it wont last ;) Could be damp and or wet and chilly until Mon-Tuesday, slowly warming. Having an unforecast sunny moment just now, but the snow is still coming down..... just above freezing now, so it is melting on the steps, and the shovelled path, but still accumulating where there is already snow.. probably around 10cm now, these photos were a few hours ago..(and a couple from last night).

Robert

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »
cohan,

The scenes of the wet snow are beautiful. Has the weather warmed? Or is more stormy weather moving through the area? Right now it does not look like any below average cold weather will arrive anytime soon.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2018, 09:07:29 PM »
Unusual (second) flowers in the pear tree ;-) (Clematis tangutica)

Bernd

They are just a big mass of fluff here..

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
Recycling is good, and when you recycle the potting soil including the dead plant you can get nice surprises.

I noticed something growing in pot of ornamental ginger and just let it grow because it looked like an interesting plant.  At first I thought it was a banana tree for the shape of the leaves and the incredibly fast growth, but now that it flowers I see it's a canna.

I had a similar canna seedling a number of years ago, but that one died, apparently these seedlings don't need a winter rest and will in fact die if they can't continue to grow during winter.  I do remember however that I got some seeds from that previous one ... So I may just have some kind of annual canna from seed here.

Happy surprise :)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »
Robert-- the weather has warmed just a couple of degrees, here, and is set to keep slowly increasing, though nothing as high as average in the next week's forecast... More snow and/or rain for the next few days..
A few shots from a trip to town yesterday...

Anders

• InVitroOrchids
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »
I found a white form of the common Knautia arvensis in a nearby forest. A cutting has rooted nicely and is now flowering in my garden along with the normal bluish ones.  Knautia is a great plant, totally uncomplicated, drought resistant and always with a lot of butterflies.

Anders

Robert

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »
Robert-- the weather has warmed just a couple of degrees, here, and is set to keep slowly increasing, though nothing as high as average in the next week's forecast... More snow and/or rain for the next few days..
A few shots from a trip to town yesterday...

Beautiful scenes!  8)  It looks like cattle ranching country. Back in the 1980's "Uncle Elwin" had a cattle ranch next to the school house I lived in at the time. The ranch had been around since the 1800's including the school house I lived in. I enjoyed living in farm and ranch country. It was very peaceful and quiet. Yes, the cattle could be noisy at times, and my flock of chickens could be fussy, but in general it was extremely quiet. I even lived next to the main road! Needless to say, there was not much traffic.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2018, 06:13:08 AM »
Ranunculus bullatus - later than it's British relative
 ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »
This is Erigeron karvinskiansus with never ending flowers - a most beautiful ' weed '

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 09:30:06 PM »
Beautiful scenes!  8)  It looks like cattle ranching country. Back in the 1980's "Uncle Elwin" had a cattle ranch next to the school house I lived in at the time. The ranch had been around since the 1800's including the school house I lived in. I enjoyed living in farm and ranch country. It was very peaceful and quiet. Yes, the cattle could be noisy at times, and my flock of chickens could be fussy, but in general it was extremely quiet. I even lived next to the main road! Needless to say, there was not much traffic.

yes, cattle, some dairy, field crops such as barley and canola.. Also very  much oil country. A lot more people than when I was growing up, so more traffic than there used to be.. still quiet compared to the city! The highway is 4 miles away, and that is pretty busy  a lot of the time...

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
This is Erigeron karvinskiansus with never ending flowers - a most beautiful ' weed '
Gerd

A good weed to have! Erik F in Victoria has mentioned this one..

I found a white form of the common Knautia arvensis in a nearby forest. A cutting has rooted nicely and is now flowering in my garden along with the normal bluish ones.  Knautia is a great plant, totally uncomplicated, drought resistant and always with a lot of butterflies.
Anders
Nice to have natives that are good in the garden!

Robert

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2018, 05:22:16 AM »
yes, cattle, some dairy, field crops such as barley and canola.. Also very  much oil country. A lot more people than when I was growing up, so more traffic than there used to be.. still quiet compared to the city! The highway is 4 miles away, and that is pretty busy  a lot of the time...

Oil?

Does the oil industry impact your area? Does it impact the ground water? Tar sands? or are they far away from your location. My understanding of the tar sands is that the production into a useful product can be very messy and that there is an extremely low net energy gain from there production.

Anyway, your countryside is still very beautiful. I will be very curious about your garden when spring comes. I also hope that you will be able to share photographs of the countryside as late autumn and winter arrive. Snow is beautiful.  :)  At least at home. Around here it is no fun to drive in, especially with the careless drivers, the flatlanders. They no nothing about driving in the snow
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2018, 02:36:36 PM »
We can say fall arrived: Heptacodium miconioides is in flower providing to a myriad of pollinators, the first Colchicums showed up and in the woods Anemone virginiana foliage is turning red.

625234-1

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal