We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dactylorhiza seeds  (Read 3524 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Dactylorhiza seeds
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:42:57 PM »
This is probably a stoopid question but what do Dactylorhiza seeds look like. In my pods there is only dust. Is this them?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Dactylorhiza seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
That is as good as it gets Mark - just scatter the 'dust' where you want them (especially over cushions and mats) and you will be amazed where they germinate.  I have them in pots, troughs, scree and beds.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »
Cliff is dead on. The dust you see IS the seed. Orchid seed has little or no "food" for the germinating embryo. The bulk of more familiar seed is made up of nutrition to span the time from germination until photosynthesis begins in the emerging cotyledon(s). This lack of food in orchid seeds is why most need an association with a mycorrhizal fungus in order to begin growing. This is provided under laboratory conditions for most orchids cultivated. Fortunately, Dactylorhiza seed associates with a fungus that is present in many areas naturally and some germination can be expected without the necessity of kitchen-table "science."
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:35:11 PM »
That is as good as it gets Mark - just scatter the 'dust' where you want them (especially over cushions and mats) and you will be amazed where they germinate.  I have them in pots, troughs, scree and beds.

And in the cracks in a concrete path!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:23:27 PM »
Would anyone like some? They are all open pollinated
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:36:19 PM »
Hi Mark

What Dactylorhiza are they? I've got plenty of Dact praetermissa seed if anyone wants some as I grow lots of them in the garden which have produced masses of seed this year.

For anyone reading this that does not know what this seed (orchid seed) looks like, pictures below are what has been collected from about five flowers with plenty have seed pods on.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »
Does anyone grow Dactylorhiza from seed sown in pots. Marsh orchids are in danger of becoming a beautiful weed in our garden but other D's don't self seed. Is there any point in mixing seed compost with garden soil to try and get some mycorrhiza in the compost.
I suppose that I could always try this experiment myself!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
I have two large circular planters (24 inches diameter) into which I transplanted a large number of tiny dactylorhiza seedlings over the years.  As an experiment I have also sown a number of species (from seed exchanges, from friends, from my own plants and from the wild) directly onto the surface grit of these pots and now possess a couple of orchid 'mini-gardens'.
The initial compost was made up of the contents of a number of spent pots; some soil that the orchid seedlings were growing in and a tiny amount of garden soil.
Hope this helps? 
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal