We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pancratium  (Read 1091 times)

Erika

Pancratium
« on: June 21, 2018, 02:39:01 AM »
Earlier this year I got a bulb of P. sickenbergeri. It produced a leaf in Spring and has now gone dormant. Can I repot now to a larger container before it blooms? Should I water during the summer or keep it dry? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.  Erika

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
Re: Pancratium
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
I find with amarylids the best time to disturb the roots is just before it makes new leaves and roots. But anytime is supposably fine.  did this come from PBS BX 435?
If yes can you post a photo of the leaf?
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

Erika

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
Hi. Yes it did come from the PBX. I’m not able to post a photo as it’s dormant.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
Ian and I were surprised today to be sent these photos from a  Bulb Log Reader/SRGC Member who  found  this Pancratium maritimum growing  happily by a  Cornish beach -  Who would have thought it would survive there?
I believe the bulbs go very deep so I suppose that protects them from the worst of the weather. in a relatively mild area.

Lovely to see the photos which I am happy to share on the forum to let folks see just what is possible in the UK!
Thanks to  Stella T !

622820-0

622822-1

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »
I was collecting some seed in Turkey one time in the 90's and a man camping on the beach had been digging some up and offered to lend me his spade. He showed me his and the bulbs had been down at least 15 inches in pure sand. The roots would have been far below this. They grow in untold numbers along the Turkish coast and I have seen massive clumps on the beach in Crete
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal