We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisaemas  (Read 5827 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Arisaemas
« on: January 07, 2007, 08:43:55 AM »
Would some one be kind enough to identify these two Arisaemas for me. I grew them from seed and lost the labels. I am guessing the first is Arisaema flavum.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Arisaemas
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »
Hi David

no. 1 is definately Flavum.

My only guess for no. 2 is possibly heterophyllum- but I don't think it really is?

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

ellenndan

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:22:53 AM »
Hi David
I agree with John about number 1. But i think number 2 may be Arisaema tortuosum. If you could post a pic of the leaf open it might make it easier.
Dan

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:31:29 AM »
I knew Dan would come to the rescue - Tortuosum definately sounds better than my guess.

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
Number 1 - flavum except that I would not expect the leaves to be above the inflorescence. Maybe this could be due to it being pot grown under glass?

Number 2 - how about a young tuber of tortuosum? A. tortuosum often grow to 0.5m, hence I am suggesting young bulb, the spadix can be purple as well as green and the stem does not have to be mottled. An alternative choice could be yunnanense.

This is almost as good as the other photo competition!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »
David your A. flavum could be ssp. abbreviatum, depending on the height. The subspecies grows to only 15-20cms in height but is otherwise similar. The leaves are usually about equal with the spathes.

Have you had a look at the A. tortuosum in the Clive Lister Garden at the DBG? They are very robust this year and well over a metre in height, due, I suppose to the cool, damp early summer. Have a look at the Clive Lister Garden thread on this Forum (General Forum, page 2) to compare with yours.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:39:42 PM »
I meant to post this one yesterday in the "downunder" thread but now we have one for Arisaema, it can go here.

It is Arisaema ciliatum and if there were a prize for the most elegant plant in bloom, I think this must win. It's dangling thread and beautifully curved spathe are quite lovely. I like its pin stripes too.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 09:04:47 PM »
David, I reckon it is A. tortuosum and a useful site to compare is

www.hillkeep.ca/images/Arisaema_tortuosum

I have it also but mine is the green pathe form but with wonderful stem colour.

Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »
A really good website for pictures of ariseama, close ups and habitat is found on www.asianflora.com. There is also a good quarterly email newsletter you can sign up for with lots of great articles ( unfortunatly a lot in French ). It has also a great range of corydalis and other photos. I will add a link on the links page.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »
Forgot to say what a lovely picture of your Arisaema Lesley and I agree with every self deprecating comment you made about its elegance. ;)
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 08:24:21 PM »
I rate these strange but architecturally wonderful plants very highly - but apart from some of the easy ones, not easy to identify. Over the years I have seen a number in their natural habitat and have been meaning to check out some of the field identificantions more thoroughly. Have tried Susan's suggested site and others, but no luck so far..... So, can I restart this thread by asking for help please with the two attached - both photographed in Sechuan, in the Piteo valley (location of the panda reserve).
Many thanks
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »
And a couple more with tentative names. Am I correct to infer that A_costatum and A_costatum1 are both A costatum: first was photographed in Bhutan, second in Nepal? Are the ids of the last two correct, as A elephas and A consanguinium; both seen in Yunnan? I am very tentative about A dilatata, ?????? also from Sechuan.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

ellenndan

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »
Hi David M
 I can only help u you on your Arisaema sp2 picture i think it might be Arisaema Franchetianum. Im sure some one else will correct me if i am wrong. I can offer suggestions for Arisaema sp1 picture Arisaema Omeiense or Wattii.
Good luck Ellen and Dan

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »
Thanks to those who identified my Arisaemas for me. As this thread seems to have taken off I can surmise they are not always easy to identify.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal