We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: London AGS Show 15th April 2008  (Read 7094 times)

Greenmanplants

• With Sparklers in November
Re: London AGS Show 15th April 2008
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
Hi Mark,
Here's the plant by itself, Clematis marmorara.
Cheers, John H. Hampshire
 England, zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »
 Yes, 40944 Posts in 1486 Topics since November 2006 speaks pretty well for the SRGC Forum, doesn't it?
I shudder to think of the huge number of plant photos and tips that are included in that total.... though, as so many of us believe, it is the addition of the social intercourse that makes people feel so included in the life ofthis Forum.
As John says, it is likely that differences will always remain in the various sites of SRGC, AGS and others, but I do believe that our SRGC "mission" to attend as promptly and fully to all contact via the site, whether it be a cultivation question or a problem with remembering log-in details, as fast as possible will always be appreciated as a terrific service.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 10:19:30 AM »
Here's the plant by itself, Clematis marmorara.
A couple of points here: I think this plant is a hybrid, rather than the pure species, which would be Clematis marmoraria

Greenmanplants

• With Sparklers in November
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Hi Maggi,

Quite so, the service that you and a handful of others behind the scenes, unstintingly provide here will always differentiate this from other sites.  The very fact that you have corrected my entry above speaks for itself.  Being a plant of Cecilia's I hadn't bothered to check in the Pant Finder as to its correct naming,  thank you for putting me right.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:17:38 AM by Greenmanplants »
Cheers, John H. Hampshire
 England, zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »
John, I think that Clematis marmoraria in its pure form is very seldom seen, so "kinks" in naming are widespread  :-X

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »
I will be delighted to be able to follow the AGS Chelsea preparations and display online.... this is such a boon for those of us who never get to see Chelsea, other than on the TV.
I know that TV coverage of Chelsea and some of the other big RHS shows has increased in recent years, but sadly, that increase has not always lead to an improvement :P  If the TV company thinks that people will be intereseted in the preparations and run- up to a show ----- and we are!----then why not have separate programmes to show these details and leave the so-called "live" programmes to be just that.... LIVE coverage of this HUGE event? There is SO MUCH to see at Chelsea and we end up with brief glimpses, rehashed through the week, intercut with pre-filmed sections.....not MY idea of LIVE TV! Given the large logistical set-up for any TV  outside broadcast I cannot see why the potential is not maximised. I suspect that the TV heads are just not gardeners...pity they don't listen to their professional colleagues ::) ::) :-\ :'(

So, we'll be waiting happily to see the fruits of your photographic and other labours, again soon, John!  8)
And, of course, best of luck with the display!  8) :D :) :D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 03:45:36 AM »
I think the clematis will be C. x Cartmanii `Joe.' It is a marmoraria hybrid, with C. paniculata Mark, both NZ natives. There was a pic in the last few days at another show I think, maybe of the same plant.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal