Specific Families and Genera > Primula

How to explain primula hybrids to a US inspector?

(1/2) > >>

bibliofloris:
So, I knew that the process for importing seeds to the US had gotten much more complicated since the last time I did it. I applied for my small lots of seed permit, followed all the instructions, and placed a small order with Barnhaven for some primrose seeds.

Now, I've been contacted by the US inspector, who is requiring the genus & species for each packet within 10 days, and tells me he must otherwise presume my seeds are endangered species and seize them.

I've contacted Barnhaven, and I'm sure they'll do their best to help me explain what jack-in-the-green and juliana primroses are to the inspector. But if anyone has dealt with this before, or has any tips, resources, or sympathy, I'd really appreciate it. I understood not to order unidentified or mixed primula species, but I didn't realize garden hybrids would be such an issue. I support protecting endangered species, but I'd also really like to receive my non-endangered seeds.

Here's what I ordered (all seeds):
Border auriculas
Show & Alpine auriculas
Striped auriculas
Barnhaven Doubles
Enthusiast's Seed Mix (hose-in-hose, gallygaskins, jack-in-the-green, etc.)
Jack-in-the-green seed mix
Gold-Laced Polyanthus
Silver-Laced Polyanthus
Primula juliana seed mix

Is Primula x polyanthus the currently accepted name for the polyanthas? What about the julianas?

Thanks for any help,
Kelly

bibliofloris:
Replying to my own post to say that Barnhaven answered right away with a nice letter explaining them to the inspector — hopefully that will do the trick!

Maggi Young:
Would be interesting to know how Barnhaven explained them, Kelly.
I'd have  said they were all forms of garden naturalised  forms of non-endangered species like vulgaris and auricula. Would that be enough?

Graeme:
Makes me wonder what Google is for........................

Longer they spend with them more likely they are to be endangered

David Nicholson:

--- Quote from: Graeme on July 10, 2018, 06:24:36 PM ---Makes me wonder what Google is for........................

--- End quote ---

To maximise income as a result of advertising and to pay as little Corporation Tax in the UK as possible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version