We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium souliei  (Read 1837 times)

P. Kohn

lilium souliei
« on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »
I know that there have been a number of posts over the years about this species and that others have also had success with Bjornar Olsen's seeds. I only have a single plant of souliei but several of 'aff souliei'. What I need now is advice about cultivation conditions. It seems to like damp conditions but be susceptible to winter rot. I am assuming it will prefer to be grown in shade ? If anyone has had success it would be most helpful to know the secret of growing this exquisite species.

barnclos

Re: lilium souliei
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »
On another forum*, there were comparison pictures of two souliei seedlings - one growing "in a very acidic place" together with Cypripedium acaule, the second "in a very moist place". The seedling in the acidic place looked a lot greener/healthier. Its only two seedlings, but this information is better than nothing.

*Facebook "Species Lilium and Nomocharis Enthusiasts" group.
Keith
575 metres, zone 7/8 ish

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 12:43:58 AM »
I too would be interested in any information forthcoming. This year (April/early May) Lilium souliei has been available as seed from NZ Fritillaria and Small Bulb Group, purchased for the Group from a Chinese source which I understand is closely connected with Bjornar Olsen. So far as I know it is the only time the species has been seen in New Zealand and we had enough seed for all those who wanted it, about 20 members as I recall, to receive some.

Because an opportunity to grow it is so new to us, any cultural information would be most welcome, right from the seed sowing/growing stage to growing on and hopefully flowering.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:15:05 AM »
I too would be interested in any information forthcoming. This year (April/early May) Lilium souliei has been available as seed from NZ Fritillaria and Small Bulb Group, purchased for the Group from a Chinese source which I understand is closely connected with Bjornar Olsen. So far as I know it is the only time the species has been seen in New Zealand and we had enough seed for all those who wanted it, about 20 members as I recall, to receive some.

Because an opportunity to grow it is so new to us, any cultural information would be most welcome, right from the seed sowing/growing stage to growing on and hopefully flowering.

Hello Lesley
I was given some seed of this back in March of this year from a NZ friend and sowed it within a week or two in compost under cover ,(I understand she's storing her seed until after winter). Germination in my pot started last month with currently about half ,(5),slowly on the go.

This might have been the easy part..... ;D

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:31:39 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Tulipaholic

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »
Can this help, photo taken in Yunnan near Thianchi Lake on 3850m. between  Rhododendron scrubs.

Sjaak de Groot

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:49:05 AM »
Oh my! That is beautiful or rather, they are beautiful. The surrounding ground is interesting and perhaps gives a clue to how to plant the bulbs, maybe in rough leafy compost with some stony material included? Of course most plants adapt to whatever we give them which is just as well or we'd have terrible losses but it seems this species does not wish to be pampered. I grow LL. nanum, lophophorum and  several nomocharis in a similar kind of mixture so I hope L. souliei, assuming it germinates and grows on, will be happy nearby the others.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

P. Kohn

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »
Our Lilium nanum seeds germinated today (sown 30/1) and we intend to treat them like the other Nomocharis that we are growing. Lilium oxypetalum also germinated today (only a single seedling so far). For us Nomocharis aperta is much the easiest which explains why it is the only species fairly widely available in UK nurseries. All the Nomocharis we grew at Kerachar were happy with our deep peaty soil and cool summers. We will have much more difficulty here in Sheffield and so far have not flowered N. aperta here.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:22:12 AM »
I have sown half my L. souliei seed already (just starting what the weather people say will be a severe winter) and am keeping the other half until spring becomes evident, just in case. I think the "windows" of when seed may be sown successfully are much wider than many people imagine. We in the southern hemisphere usually find ourselves sowing all kinds of alpine seed at what most in the north would say was the wrong time and in general, we end up with as good germination as northern gardeners do. If not, it can usually be put down to other causes or perhaps to droughts or whatever. Our SRGC and AGS seed always arrives at our hottest time of year and I always sow it right away on the presumption that "fresh is best." This premise always works well in particular with primulas and I usually have seedlings through in as little as two weeks. I'm about to sow 6 packets of Barnhaven primula seed within the coming week (it was posted in France today) and that too, I expect to germinate within a very short time, as did last year's end of season "specials."

Such happenings make the winter tolerable and this year are helping me to bear the pain of physiotherapy on my right shoulder, following a bad break and surgery in mid March. It Is getting better now and every two or three days I can say "it's better than it was last week."

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal