We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2007  (Read 71360 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus January 2007
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »
Richard your description is perfect and what you are telling us is to use beer traps. Small plastic cups or the bottom of cola bottles work well
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2007, 05:04:24 PM »
Back on track now with a couple of Galanthus from today. I had to give up trying to photograph them due to the continuing high winds.

The first is a new Galanthus called 'Compton Court'. I dont think it should have been named as it is just a single marked early flowering snowdrop. It does however have a very good shape and looks great in a group. The scent is wonderful.

And at the bottom is another early flowering snowdrop that shows before Christmas. It looks very like 'Castlegar' but with slight differenes. For ID purposes it is labelled 'Castlegar -maybe'

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2007, 09:38:26 PM »
Galanthus in the garden today:
G. 'Compton Court'
G. Atkinsii
G. 'Magnet' - just the first bloom in the clump
G. 'Dionysius'
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

snowdropman

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2007, 09:47:36 PM »
Hi Paddy - great photo of 'Compton Court' - very nice form - I do not know this one, can you give me any more information as to its origins etc?
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2007, 09:50:01 PM »
Just reading back over Mark's post.

I agree with Mark's sentiments re the naming of snowdrops which have only the very slightest of difference from other related species or cultivars. With the great present popularity of snowdrops it is to be expected that this might happen. Enthusiasts might want to name a snowdrop which they find in their own garden, their 15 minutes of fame, so to speak. Those into snowdrops in a commercial way will be tempted to have a 'new' snowdrop on the market - new is desirable, in short supply and will command a high price.

Common sense is our only recourse - don't buy a snowdrop simply because it is new and another name to add to the list grown in the garden. Likewise, don't rush into naming a snowdrop.

Of course, this applies not only to snowdrops. The same can be said of most other plants.

Paddy

jomowi

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
Slugs are often not very active in the winter and therfore not likely to cause too much damage.  Has anyone thought that field mice can also eat the tips of snowdrops.   I have had the tops of frits, narcissus and even brussel sprouts eaten by mice.  It was not voles as the problem ceased on each occasion when I caught the mice. 

Brian Wilson
Aberdeen
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »
Chris,

When I read your query I immediately reached for Bishop, Davis and Grimshaw but realise you will also have this to hand and so presume it is not  mentioned in it. All I can tell you at present is that I was sent a few bulbs to try in the garden to see how it would go. It's a good growing, well-held and decently-sized flower.

The best thing I can suggest is that I send on a bulb later in the season when the foliage is wilted. You will be able to see how it does in your own garden and compare it to others.  Would that suit you?

Paddy

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2007, 10:57:57 PM »
It is being trialled by the main snowdrop suppliers in England and as far as I know not under this or any name. It's origin is in England and it's garden worthiness was noted after bulbs came to N Ireland. A few of us hold the stock just in case those in one garden fail

snowdropman

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »
Slugs are often not very active in the winter and therfore not likely to cause too much damage

Hi Brian - unfortunately, it is very definitely slugs with me - both they and their slime trails are very visible - most of them are very small in size, which I assume means that they are recently hatched.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

snowdropman

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2007, 11:11:09 PM »
Hi Paddy - very generous of you - thanks
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »
Interesting point Brian. It is always very difficult to apportion blame but between the various pests but I think I do get mice and wood pigeon damage as well as slugs. Where I have only one or 2 plants I usually apply the belt and bracers approach and cover with a small square of rigid netlon - which you forms a natural dome when cut from the roll making it difficult for the pesky things to get at the plant buds and I also spread a few pellets about. I have found that for whatever reason mice or is it woodpigeons are particularly attracted to Galanthus Reginae and Peshmenii - perhaps they have a unique flavour  ???
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2007, 08:49:17 PM »
Photograph of Galanthus fosteri below but then a very odd Galanthus fosteri - double flowered, an odd one certainly!
This is something seen regularly enough on herbaceous perennials, foxgloves are particularly prone to it, but it is the first time I have seen it in a snowdrop.

Paddy

snowdropman

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2007, 10:23:55 PM »
Hi Paddy - is this the first time this has happened, or does this happen regularly on this particular plant?
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2007, 10:24:11 PM »
Does it do this every year? If yes then mark the bulb for future chipping

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2007, 10:33:15 PM »
Hi Paddy
This twinning is mentioned in Marcus Harvey's Hillview Rare Plants Catalogue (Tasmania) this year. He mentions 2 Cultivars which regularly do it: "Kite" and "Mrs Thompson". I've not seen it myself so have ordered one to check it out!
cheers
fermi
Neophyte galanthophile
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal