We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2007  (Read 70706 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Galanthus January 2007
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »
Nice set of pics Paddy :) I prefare the first set but then I am not a galanthophile just a plantophile  ::)

Mick nice plant and pic hope it does well for You.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »
Referring back to John's reply no 26 on the previous page: It is not possible to link the picture file names to the search engine for the forum. Sorry about that. If posters could just take an extra moment or two to add the names of plants in the body of their text also, then the search facility will be able to link everything more easily.Though there is often a clue about where stuff might be found, I find!!  Thank you!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »
Hi Maggie

thanks for the reply - I thought it was probably unlikely to be able to search file names too.  Could it be worth adding that 'plant names should be written in text to enable searching' to the Admin General FAQ's as a 'good practice when posting'.

with kind regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »
Good thinking, John Lad, will do.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2007, 09:59:24 PM »
Every collection no matter how big or small should contain this snowdrop. Galanthus nivalis. Where would we be today without it?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »
Pretty little white flower, Mark! Only three weeks now till you visit Aberdeen with tales of the white fever!

Mick, I'll send you my phone number, when you feel a moment of white weakness coming on, ring me and I'll talk you out of it!!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »
You try finding it in a garden centre?! Every one I've been to this year is selling pots of Galanthus elwesii as G. nivalis!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 12:30:16 PM by Maggi Young »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »
How would I tell the difference Anthony? As I bought some nivalis at the same time as elwesii.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »
Here's what Mark said on 24th December re Snowie types: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=39.90
Copied here without pix.
      Re: Galanthus 2006
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2006, 06:08:45 PM in Galanthus 2006 »

Here are some leaf types for thse unfamiliar with Galanthus
1. The leaves grow with their upper surface facing each other, Applanate, as in G. nivalis
2. The leaves have the edges folded back.  They flatten with age. Explicate as in G. plicatus
3. One leaf wraps around the other until they seperate, Supervolute, like G. elwesii. Hooded on leaf tips 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Smyth
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antrim, Co. Antrim. Northern Ireland Z8
Marks Garden Plants etc:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 01:04:20 PM by Maggi Young »

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
Joakim,

The first set of photographs were taken to show off the beautiful sky as much as the snowdrops - it was a pet day, beautiful weather and I was delighted with it.

The second set, reposted at Mark's request, are for those people who like to examine the snowdrops in greater detail.

Many snowdrops are very similar and close examination is necessary to differentiate them. On the other hand, mass plantings of snowdrops have an appeal that is difficult to surpass.

There is a garden outside Ballymena, Northern Ireland, which belongs to a Mrs. June Docherty where there are very old mass plantings of the common Galanthus nivalis which are spectacular and need no closer examination to give enjoyment.

I'm not sure how it is for others who like snowdrops but, for me, I use Galanthus nivalis for large plantings, for example, under trees and shrubs, and the more unusual snowdrops are for more special display. The unusual snowdrops also have the great advantage of allowing one to swap with other gardeners, or simply give to other gardeners who are also keen on snowdrops and this is one of the most pleasurable aspects of gardening, the pleasant social interaction with like-minded people.

Whether individually or in mass snowdrops are very beautiful and most welcome at this otherwise miserable time of year in the garden.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 02:06:30 PM »
yes Maggi it's very close indeed and I'm nervous to stand before the Bulb Despot himself

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 06:54:32 PM »
Paddy I liked the sky and the white snowdrop :) I guessed it was to show off as well and I saw the recuest for close ups.

Here in Sweden we do not have any problem with wrongly marked snowdrops since it is just snowdrops if any marking. Maybe double if one is in extreem luck. Regarding snowdrops for sale in the green the most is sold by private persons on market and fair and it is what people have a lot of = G. nivalis and the rest is in dry semidead bulb state and might be both elwasi and nivalis. Most is sold as bulb 95% I would say. So we do not have a problem of getting the wrong sort since we mostly have nivalis.
So having more than one is a bit of luxuary even if it is very anoting to get something else than what one paid for, but I would think nivalis is cheaper than elwasi so one would mak a good buy :) !

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 07:03:36 PM »
Joakim most mail order companies will mail over seas and some eg Judy's Snowdrops will send you bulbs when dormant and freshly lifted from the ground. Paul Christian also sends when dormant. I believe this is by far the best time. Ian Y will hopefully back me up. When you buy a special bulb it has lost it's roots at a time they need them most - to build up the bulb for the following year. When I send out swaps I like to do so when the leaves have lost their freshness or are yellow

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »
Mark thanks for the tip but I am trying to stay away from the white fever  8) !

We used to get wild collected bulbs that were semi dead when they came to Sweden and that dried and died in the store so that 1 survivor of 10 was a normal to good result  :'(

I got mine from the sheeps fence since the neighbour spread some bulbs with the soil he trew there. After 30 years there were enough for me to take some without making a problem.

I think the way Mark sugested is the smatest and is used for Cypripedium I think.

Kind regards
Joakim

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
I bought Galanthus Ikariae in a super market for 2€ or 10 bulbs but I the picture is not like Marks delicate. Does anyone know what it really is?
If it Flowers I will post but I had the feeling that it is known what it really is already.

Mark I am not totaly free from the white fever just pretending.  8)

Kind regards
Joakim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal