We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2007  (Read 71483 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Galanthus January 2007
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Good Man, John.

You tell them.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2007, 08:47:46 PM »
Now, Boys, be fair,  I didn't say they weren't lovely, I just said they all look the same......
4339-0
to me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Yup, that's exactly what I said as well ;)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »
I must admit that 50% of them look the same to me too - but I am learning.   ;)

John

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 09:11:08 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2007, 09:23:21 PM »
I guess I sit somewhere between Maggi/Ian and Mark/Paddy on this one. I certainly want lots, with many variations (fat chance here) but I don't need every one. Those raised or originating in Ireland would be an attraction to the Irishmen, understandably, just as I have a sneaking affection for exotic plants raised in NZ. So do go on posing pictures and discussion (I'm sure you will) as I'll bet there are at least 3 people out there who are hanging on every word :)

On the sorry subject of stealing from gardens, I think I've been incredibly lucky. When I lived in another garden and had a large clump of the double Trillium grandiflorum growing under my letter box at the bottom of quite a long, steep path and many metres away from my in house sight line, it was never touched though many people came up to the house to ask about it, even the postman once.

Another time, another very large garden,  I was really distressed to have a primula (`Inverewe') stolen as I had imported it and couldn't replace, it being sterile and no source in NZ. It was on my mind for months. Then the next spring, there it was near a yellow rhododendron. I had planted it out and totally forgotten that fact. Senior moments even 20 years ago!

I'm not sure that there's ever been anything stolen at all - perhaps a few cutting maybe - from any of my gardens, even those in my previously much larger nursery. Fingers crossed though!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2007, 11:55:26 PM »
John on opening gardens I would always recommend the experience. I did this some 5 years ago for the local hospice and we had several hundred visitors over 2 aftrenoons. In fact someone told me that over 1000 tickets had been sold. I felt that it was a rewarding experience even if one lady out of all of those visitors tried to take seeds of anything she fancied and was quite upset when I stopped her. Everyone else was interested and appreciative and I thoroughly enjoyed it so don't let this chit chat put you off encouraging your parents. On a note of caution I was warned that it was a good idea to keep the curtains of the house drawn so as not to advertise possessions as I am informed there are a great many more other thieves than plant ones.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2007, 03:10:08 PM »
On reflection: it seems just possible to me that those who fail to notice the minute differences between one snowdrop cultivar and another are possibly myopic. This, unfortunately, is a common complaint in those of advancing years. It is sad that the pleasures of galanthophilia are denied them, that they should suffer so in their golden years when otherwise their appreciation of the finer things of life is at its best.

I think I shall slip away now and shed a salty tear on their behalf but no, I must rush home, grab a bite to eat and drive 80 miles - I heard there is a slightly different form of a particular snowdrop just after opening in a garden...somewhere in Ireland. No, seriously, I am off to a gardening talk.

I shall travel with a heavy heart, saddened by the fate of otherwise great people.

Paddy

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2007, 05:08:54 PM »
Paddy, sorry, but I found that difficult to read even with me specs on. Could you repeat it please in larger type on a white background with the odd green smudge! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »
Paddy
While I accept that are plenty people that are myopic there may be an equal number that have green blotches clouding their vision. 8)
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »
I am arranging a SAGA Tours bus to Waterford.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »
Oh, SAGA ! I mis-read that and thought you meant SAJA, the French Alpine Club: I'm sure they would enjoy the visit, just couldn't think why they would need David in North East Scotland to arrange it for them!!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2007, 10:26:08 PM »
The Ulster Group is heading to Counties Cork and Limerick this summer
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2007, 09:54:58 AM »
Isn't SAGA the acronym for sex and games for the aged? ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
SAGA?

Is this the Scottish Anti-Galanthophile Association?

Ah, listen here, ye would all be welcome to visit Waterford on your outing. We could show you all a bit of the green, educate you all a bit, take you away from all those little crocus and narcissus and onto some good plants instead. And you all could enjoy a drop while you are here.

Then again, I don't know. Maybe the lot of ye are beyond saving. Perhaps it is just a case of commending you all to the Almighty and casting you to his mercy.

Went to an excellent talk last night on the flora of S. Africa and Lesotho, great photography and the first time I was at a talk where the speaker had two projectors and two screens in operation. It was visually very impressive especially when both screens combined to give a panoramic view. Views of kniphofias spread wide across open ground were especially impressive. The speaker was Martin Walsh who is the events organiser for the Dublin branch of the AGS.

Paddy

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2007, 11:58:38 AM »
Paddy, you've rumbled me, yes, I am the secretary of the Scottish Anti-Galanthophile Association: for goodness sake, don't tell Mark, he's due here to talk about the ruddy things next week... I don't think he suspects me so far 8)

Sounds like a grand evening you had with said Martin Walsh. He's a great chap, isn't he? We'll need to be getting him and his two projectors across to Scotland sooner rather than later, I think! So far he just visits for the fun of it. Our golden girl, Julia Corden, was along on that South African trip,  lord help the rest of the party, that's all I can say.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal