We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2007  (Read 71452 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Galanthus January 2007
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2007, 10:03:09 PM »
Mark & Chris,

A number of years back Mary and I were called on at the last minute to help a local group make up sufficient numbers, for printing purposes, to issue a pamphlet advertising gardens open to the public. Not having the heart to say 'No' we suddenly became one of these gardens open to the public.

It was at times a most enjoyable experience and at others the most bizarre - seeing people oblivious to the  world around them taking a bit here and a bit there. Worst of all was a lady who a year after a visit to our garden informed us of how  much  money she had made from the plants she had grown from the cuttings she had taken in our garden - and she told us this full of pride and waiting for our compliments on how well she had done.

We are no longer part of this garden group, though the local garden clubs are always welcomed.

I was in a garden where there were numerous seedlings of echiums, one of a group standing chatting to the owner, when one of our group got down on her knees, produced a dessert spoon and a plastic bag and began digging up the seedlings and bagging them up, stood up and declared, 'they should grow away well when I put them out at home'. As the soccer players say, 'Gobsmacked.'

You will have heard of those who bring their umbrella and drop the plants into it; the folded newspaper is another one; deep pockets are unimaginative but still regularly used.

May the thief of 'Carolyn Elwes' rot in hell!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2007, 10:11:42 PM »
Very nice Maggi but I think the bucket of water frequently applied would do the trick. A while back I threw a glass of pinot noir but most of the damn thing missed (I was in a rage) and hit the curtains behind him. Had to take them down and dry clean. Should have used a nice chardonnay!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2007, 10:24:04 PM »
Getting trampled to buy a plant is hardly much fun, but  I guess it allows the young and fit to buy plants that otherwise might just get passed around to those of us who are more decrepit.

We sometimes have crowded salerooms, particularly at a show where the exhibits take up the main hall and the sales are relegated to a committee room.  We give out numbered tickets starting at the beginning of the show, and allow only twenty to be in the saleroom at a time.  This is probably a requirement of the Fire Department, but certainly helps those of us who like a bit of space.

At big sales, like the one held yearly at the local university, the sale is in the gym, so there is lots of space.  Potential buyers line up outside an hour or so in advance of opening.  Any rarities are put in the silent auction, so everyone has a chance to buy them, not just the fastest sprinter.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
What is the situation with snowdrops in British Columbia? Is there a good selection available? An interest among gardeners? Which do you grow yourself and which are your favourites?

Paddy, There has never been a large number of snowdrop bulbs for sale here except for the usual offerings of nivalis and elwesii from the Netherlands. Individuals have imported named forms from England, like Magnet and Sam Arnott, and eventually they pass some on to friends. Some other species have appeared from somewhere - there is a woronowii that has been passed around for the past 40 years at least. Others have scoured abandoned farms and areas along roadsides where people have tossed their garden debris over the past century.  A couple of such collectors then sell some bulbs - there will be a dish full of bulbs next to the cash desk of local garden centres, with a little sign and a photo to show what the bulbs will look like. By this means, I acquired a green-tipped woronowii about 35 years ago.  It was labelled "Viridapicis".  More recently, I have bought a green-tipped elwesii and an elwesii hiemalis. I have found most of my variants among the masses of self-seeded elwesii in my grandmother's 90 year old garden.  In the last couple of years, small pots of flowering woronowii have been on sale locally, new imports, labelled "nivalis".  I search through them all to find some a little bit different, and have planted them together near my original two clones, so they can cross themselves and perhaps produce something exciting for my grandchildren.

I have been acquiring snowdrop seeds whenever I can, so I have a few other species. 
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2007, 11:35:04 PM »
On the question of stealing snowdrops one serious local galanthophile I know codes all his plants so that they cannot be identified by the labels. He also has a computerised record of a grid of the whole garden no mean feat given that it is not a small garden so in the event of the coded label being lost identifiction can still be made. Just goes to show the experiences related on this thread may not be one offs. Obviously there are some nutters who will stop at nothing to own just one more drop or anything other rare plant for that matter. Having had my rant I'm off to bed now and as its a cold night with snow forecast I wondered is there any chance of borrowing your balaclava tonight Maggi?  ;)
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2007, 11:45:29 PM »
All mine are numbered. On my open days I remove the flowers from all my rarities and those given to me before getting into circulation. I hand out a laminated list on my open days showing what they all are except those I dont want known. I then take back the lists
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
I visited the holder of a bulbous National Collection who not only had everything numbered, but had memorized all the codes. As someone who needs to have her finger under a phone number and refer to it three times while dialing, I was very impressed.

I hope you make a bouquet of your blossoms, Mark, so at least they get admired by you.  That's a good way to learn more about them, too, as that's about the only time I can tell if one is scented.  It's too cold outside to smell anything.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2007, 08:09:34 AM »
Hi All

I am saddened by the stories I have read over the last 2 pages. My experience of gardening throughout my life has been of friendly generous people always willing to pass on experience / knowledge and cuttings or offsets.  Whenever anyone visits my garden I would feel that I haven't been a good host if they were to leave empty handed.  Even strangers walking their dogs have gone away with pots of this or that when they have stopped to say good morning and commented on a plant.

For the last few years I had been trying to encourage my parents to open their large garden for the local hospice but having read this thread I have completely changed my mind.  I don’t like the thought of a load of strangers bulldozing around with ‘spoons, newspapers, umbrellas, etc’ saying what a jolly time they are having stealing things.  The idea of the same person coming back another year to try and dig up again what they failed to thieve previously – horrible - why were they allowed in a second time?…

For me one of the many joys of gardening is for people to visit and look at what I am growing (or attempting to grow!) and I shall still be happy for visitors to my garden.  Though from now on they may only be allowed on the premises until I am shown proof of identity (passports and photographic driving licenses accepted)!!!

Regards

John
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:32:11 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2007, 10:05:06 AM »
Getting what You want in a sale has nothing to do with being young strog and fast. It was in a bulbsale mostly women at the age 55+ that were doing the pushing. I have some problem pushing back on older women but if a 25 year old man would push I would hold my ground.
I woman was sitting saying Oh my God all the time she must have been shocked at th avent seeing her felow gardners bulldoze their way.

Regarding thieving I have problem comprahending that people invited to Your garden steal. Taking a cut of a bush that is hanging from a garden out to the side walk I can understand that people do. Espesially if it is a big bush. Taking a hole plant from a pot or even the pot is not something I can understand then the owner does not have it any more and that You can never justify how much You try.

I was once tempted to take a cuttiing from a huge buganvilla vith varigated foliage but thought that the ends are the preitiest so I did not take any. I few weeks later they had decimated it 3 m rather than the 3cm I would.
If anyone would take a cutting from any big bush of mine I would not mind doing it of small ones and hence negatively influence the growth would not be appriciated, nor any selling of any of them.
Paddy I bet the You were extra upset that she had sold cuttings and not given them around to stread Your plants (and the joy) but to make money off it.

Not showing off exclusive plants might stop the worst thefts, but should not be needed.

To end with a nicer tone my galanthus are starting to show some foliage so they survived or were not dead when I planted them.

Take care
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2007, 03:11:38 PM »
John,
You will have got the message that to those who have suffered bad behaviour in their gardens it is a terribly disappointing experience. This is because, just as you said, people welcome others into their garden and are enthusiatic to share their hobby with others who show and interest. This is what makes it so upsetting and so hurtful.

However, there are far far more gardeners who are a pleasure to meet, to have in one's garden and whose gardens are a pleasure to visit that the wretches we have written about. Your attitude typifies what I mean; people are welcomed, a plant, cutting or whatever is given if possible and a nice time is had by all.

Most gardeners are a good bunch, don't worry about that, but there are some nutters out there.

Paddy

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2007, 07:35:10 PM »
That's 14 pages folks-and I still think the little white flowers all look the same :o ;D :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2007, 08:05:07 PM »
just wait to next month!!!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:26:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2007, 08:29:59 PM »
Groan from Maggi!  :-[
Mr Admin tells me the responsibilities of Moderator are many and onerous, and I KNOW I should be impartial, but I can't help it : I am with David Nicholson on this one!!
Sorry!
4338-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »
David - how could you!....

And Maggi - tut tut

;D ;D ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2007, 08:43:14 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah David & Maggi,

Don't be spoilsports. They're looooooooovely plants.

Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal