We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2007  (Read 71564 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus January 2007
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »
What a terrible life it would be if we took snowdrops that seriously. They are just an interest

Paddy many people are single mindedly obsessed with snowdrops and go to great lengths to get what they need including stealing. I know someone, collection never seen, who claims to have 1100 distinct snowdrops in the collection. As you say it's an interest and not a race. This year may be my last at the Galanthus Gala due to stampedes and very ignorant people
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2007, 03:31:31 PM »
Mark,

My poor memory fails me at this moment, but I was reading the snowdrop book last night and read where, following one of these snowdrop days at one of the well-known snowdrop places, a clump, and the only clump in existence at that, of a particularly lovely snowdrop vanished. It has never been seen since. It's a bit like those who purchase art to have it for their own enjoyment only. A bit foolish.

I have'nt ever been to the Galanthus Gala and it's unlikely that I ever will. There are plenty of snowdrops available without going there.

And for Lesley - my comment about the 843 or 800 varieties is just a number picked out of the air! I'm sure there are thousands more!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2007, 04:31:20 PM »
Yes Carolyn Elwes had elwesii 'Carolyn Elwes' stolen. They have never appeared but one day they will be seen. Many people do not allow visitors at snowdrop time. A similar situation happened in National Botanic Gardens, Dublin a few years back
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
At least snowdrops stay still for the collectors who must be related to those birdwatchers who maintain a "life list" and travel the globe to put a few more ticks on it.

Since I live far from an area where named forms are easily purchased, I am trying to produce my own new varieties.  I have about four clones of poculiform elwesii.  I hope they may prove to be  neutral mothers whose offspring will show the unusual characteristics of the pollen parents. This could save a chunk of my remaining lifespan if I could develop a yellow, or a Trym-like, or any other distinctive form in one generation instead of needing two generations for the recessives to resort and reveal themselves.

Has anyone tried this?   They are in bud already, so I must bestir myself to find some exciting pollen.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2007, 08:44:43 PM »
I guess obsessives are there in every interest or hobby on earth. Galanthus of course are harmless to the others around but when one lives with an old car obsessive and the driveway is almost totally blocked because of them, and they sit around and gently rust, and weeds grow up under them, and they're covered with cobwebs, and take up every hour God sends when the lawn needs mowing, and.....
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2007, 08:50:31 PM »
Lesley, if Roger is sitting around in the drive, growing weeds under him and getting cobwebs, throw a bucket of water over him and tell him to get busy on fixing his old cars instead!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2007, 09:11:22 PM »
Mark,
Reading the account of the diappearance of G. elwesii 'Carolyn Elwes' I got the impression that the author, and by implication some others, had some idea of who might be responsible or at least had their suspicions. How mean of someone to do this. It really is against the spirit of gardening.

Diane,
What is the situation with snowdrops in British Columbia? Is there a good selection available? An interest among gardeners? Which do you grow yourself and which are your favourites?

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

snowdropman

« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2007, 09:13:45 PM »
I got the impression that the author, and by implication some others, had some idea of who might be responsible or at least had their suspicions.

Paddy - you got the right impression!!
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

snowdropman

« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »
Here is a picture of g. 'Ailwyn', which has been flowering now for about 2 weeks - came as a single 'in the green' bulb last year & has already split - interesting to note that the inner segment marks are different.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

snowdropman

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »
Yes Carolyn Elwes had elwesii 'Carolyn Elwes' stolen. They have never appeared but one day they will be seen. Many people do not allow visitors at snowdrop time. A similar situation happened in National Botanic Gardens, Dublin a few years back

Sadly, these are not random occurences and I heard recently of one person who will no longer open their garden after finding the same person trying to dig up their 'South Hayes' for the 2nd time in 3 years - in between times they hid the 'South Hayes' to good effect.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »
Maggi I really meant the cars, not Roger but all the same, not a bad idea. Most he has no intention of fixing, just accumulating.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »
I knew exactly what you meant, Lesley, I just thought that throwing a bucket of water over Roger would cheer you up re the cars!!

snowdropman

« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2007, 09:45:25 PM »
This year may be my last at the Galanthus Gala due to stampedes and very ignorant people

The problems last year were exacerbated by having what looked like about 400 people trying to squeeze into a Plant Sales Marquee that could only accommodate about 50 people comfortably, with the inevitable consequences - as a former Second Row Forward I had not anticipated too many problems in this sort of environment, but I was wrong!

It is to be hoped that lessons were learnt & that the situation will be improved this year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:47:41 PM by snowdropman »
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2007, 09:48:13 PM »
It would indeed cheer me up and in fact, I need cheering up quite often.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:43 PM »
Right-ho, I'll need to think of some other things that might be helpful to cheer you then !
4281-0
Just call me "Holmes"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal