We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Linum dolomiticum  (Read 2557 times)

Donald

Linum dolomiticum
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
I have been successful in growing from seed some the above-mentioned plants and now I have the question of how to grow them on in the future.

I read that it is from a protected four hectare spot about 20 miles north of Budapest. In June 2009 Katherine J, a member of the SRGC, visited the area and provided some photographs of the plant and growing area.

I am told that it is one of the rarest plants, not the easiest plant to grow and probably best in an alpine house or on a protected scree.  I also understand that in the area the plant grows there are very different conditions between open bare rocks and woodland.

So, some help would be appreciated as I do not operate an Alpine house, but I do have various scree and crevice positions where it could live.  Is any one able to offer advice about the acidity or alkalinity of the soil?  Should it be sandy or contain noticeable amounts of leaf mold?  Shade or full sun?  and, finally I assume a substantial grit content.
Views would be greatly appreciated and no doubt cuttings could be available!

Donald.

P. Kohn

Re: Linum dolomiticum
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 02:25:42 PM »
Ours grows happily in a Cornish Wall in our small garden in central Sheffield. It is almost too vigorous for its site - in high summer it must be 40 or 50 cm across and covered with yellow flowers over a long season. It is woody so when it dies back it looks really scruffy so ours is cut back to a core. Just now it is covered with new growth. I still haven't mastered posting on the web site but will happily fo.rward pictures

Donald

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
I am grateful for your response as it has given me an idea for planting.  It was kind of your to take the tome.  Donald.

AnJo11

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »
Hello Donald and P.Kohn,
Do you have feedback on the production of seeds, the ability to re-sow?

P. Kohn

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 09:34:38 AM »
I checked our sowing records and found that we have only obtained a very few seeds each year. Last year we sowed six seeds and got only two germinations (on April 1st from a sowing in late Decenber). This year we had only four seeds which have not yetgerminated (again sown in late December). So, yes, it is possible to germinate seeds but not easy.

AnJo11

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »
I have tried  too a seeding with some 10 seeds received too late, in April. No results. But I keep the pot, may be nest spring...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal