We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chionodoxa ident please  (Read 1058 times)

Shauney

Chionodoxa ident please
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
Hi, please could someone help me with identifying which chionodoxa this is? I think it's c. forbesii but have seen pics of c. luciliae that look very similar! Any help would be greatfull.
Thanks Shaun
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:49:04 PM by Shauney »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Chionodoxa ident please
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 07:25:15 PM »
According to The Plant List it is Chionodoxa forbesii with C. luciliae being synonymous with the former.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
The RHS, when  trialling this sort of plant, called it the trial of the "Little Blue Bulbs" - tells you all you need to know!  #confused # mostofusare!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »
The "Little Blue Bulbs" trial Maggi mentioned was written up and the report can be downloaded as a pdf file here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/PDFs/Plant-trials-and-awards/Plant-bulletins/hyacinthaceae.pdf. It talks about the confusion in naming Chionodoxas and tries to sort them out.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Jacek

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
I don't know the name, but I noticed there are two different types of plants available in garden centres. I have both.

Type 1 Bulbs small, elongated, easily dividing into two. Plants smaller, up to 10 cm, 1 or 2 flowers per stem. Flowers up facing, the biggest of all chionodoxa. Often not clear blue, somewhat purple tinted and not dark.

Type 2 Bulbs bigger, round (like Scilla sibirica or small Hyacinthus orientalis), without visible tendency for division. Plants bigger, ca 15 cm, 2 to 5 (or more) flowers per stem. Flowers up and side facing, big but smaller than type 1. Within this type pink and white clones are sold. The blue clone has clear dark blue flowers (with white eye, of course).

Both plants retain their different features in mixed garden population. Shaun, your plant rather belongs to type 1

And the plant sold by The Pottertons as C. sardensis is clearly different - like an intensely dark-coloured type 2 miniature.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Shauney

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:53:09 AM »
Thanks all for your replies.
David:-  Thanks for the ident.
Paul:-  Thanks for the interesting and confusing link!  ???

Thanks Shaun

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
If you search the forum using the search term "Little Blue Bulbs"  (  from the search button, fourth left in the line  near the top of the page)   you'll find  quite a few  posts about this  subject!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal