We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxifraga retusa  (Read 1857 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Saxifraga retusa
« on: March 11, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »
Purchased this little beauty from Aberconwy Nurseries at AGS Loughborough yesterday (amongst a few others😳), inspired by Alan Furness's plant from last year (see photo). I seem to recall Alan's plant was growing in a sand bed, lifting the plant prior to showing?
Can anyone offer any cultural advice please? (Unfortunately Alan wasn't there yesterday to ask)

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
Re: Saxifraga retusa
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »
Hi there I used to grow Sax retusa years ago. Hoping to replace it soon now I know Aberconwy have it for sale.
I had it in a trough with very gritty free draining soil. I also added extra dolomitic limestone and top dress with dolomitic lime chips. It seemed to like the extra lime and did very well until I assume blackbirds removed the plant without me noticing.
I get the magnesium lime stone chips from agricultural lime that comes from Ullapool quarry. Its predominately magnesium lime with a small percentage of calcium. I used to dry it and put it through a sieve to remove the small chips for top dressing. The lime I used is the lime you sometimes see in piles on fields before spreading. It is a mix of mainly dust but has small course chips as well which are great for top dressing lime lovers. The chips give it a slow release effect and the dust an immediate effect. You could use dolodust (finely ground magnesium lime) as well if agricultural lime isn't available.

Alasdair

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Re: Saxifraga retusa
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice Alasdair. Fingers crossed will keep you posted!
Lawrence

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal