We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Looking for spring flowers at the end of march in europe  (Read 1849 times)

Vincent

• Mountains, Alpines, Bulbs
Looking for spring flowers at the end of march in europe
« on: February 28, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
Dear Forumists,
I'm currently planning a trip at the end of march for about 10 days with the aim to see some spring flowering geophytes. I am planning on short notice because I didn't know that there would be a chance to get off work at that time. I am drawn to spain very much, to see some of the wonderful Narcissus species and others, (inspired by Matthew Topsfield) but since I will most likely be driving I'm now trying to see if there are any closer alternatives that would be worthwhile. It's about 1700 km to Toledo from my place which is south-west germany. Not a drive to be looking forward to. So if anybody could recommend a nice area somewhere a bit closer to my home (e.g. south france, italy, pyrenees...) I would be very grateful!
Thanks for reading
Vincent - South-West Germany

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Looking for spring flowers at the end of march in europe
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »
it's too early for Pyrénées, best period is mid may to end of June.
Same for Italia, Gargano, Monte Baldo are great areas for geophytes but not until mid april-mid may.
Why not flying to Greece, perfect timing for Crete, Attica, Peloponese (end of march is perfect)?

From Düsseldorf you'll find really cheap flights as the season start end of march for most air companies.

If you add fuel, highway cost, hotels on the road, i'm pretty sure it costs less for a family to fly and rent a car one week (usually 120€ max for a D class car, still low season for hire car companies).

I know some of us prefer road to plane.

North of France

Vincent

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
Thank you very much for your suggestions Yann. I do absolutely prefer to drive but am really starting to like the idea of flying to greece. I had thought about it before, but wasn't sure which region would be good for a visit at this time. Now I know. Will have to do some reading and planning. Is there an area you could particularly recommend? Thanks again!

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:22:41 PM »
well, end of march/early april you can explore the Delphi area, Mount Giona for early geophytes.

If you want a 100% succesful trip then drive from athens to Inner Mani (cape Tigana, Vathia, Lagia, Gerolimenas) you'll find Tulipa goulimyi, Fritillaria davisii, Allium circinnatum, many orchids species, Campanula, etc.
Then you can reach the Aeropoli zone, there you can find lots of bulbous plants.
Not far the Mili gorge is wonderful for cyclamens, Scilla messeniaca.

On the road from Athens you should must stop at Mistras : Muscari, tulips, crocus, Iris

Monemvasia for its Campanulas, Cyclamens, Alliums worth the visit too.

One week is short but it allows you to visit many phryganas. If you can catch a flight to Kalamata then it's perfect avoiding the long drive from Athens.
North of France

Vincent

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:16:41 PM »
This is very valuable information to me, absolutely fantastic! Thank you very much Yann. What are your botanical destinations this year?

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »
mainly Greece (right now, mid may, early june), Spain in april with a botanical society and off course several travels in my country.
North of France

Vincent

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »
That sounds very good, I'm a little jealous :) Hope you have a great time!

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 09:19:54 PM »
That sounds very good, I'm a little jealous :) Hope you have a great time!
Hallo Vincent, I found Your posts now and that You looks for springflowers. Thats why I invite You for the next year in march to come to Torgau/Elbe.  We - a society to support the 9.Saxonia LAGA 2022 Torgau (www.fv-laga-torgau.de), plan for this LAGA 2022 an Exposition-weekend bevor the official opening (end of april 2022) in begin of march, where we concentrate only in springflowers - Galanthus, Crocus, Leucojum, Chionodoxa, Eranthis and others! We have in and around  Torgau some places with natural growing springflowers and organisate an exposition with flowering plants of hobbygardeners and nurseries in the historical Proviantmagazin Torgau. We start with the exposition already in the comming year in 9. and 10.march 2019, that we have training in organisation expositions yearly. In the foto you see our Invitation and if You come, I myself invite You to visit my private snowdrop-garden in Döbrichau too! More fotos and infos about our region You can see here in the SRGC forum: travels and places to visit under "Schneeglöckchenregion Elbe-Elster".
Greetings from Torgau/Saxonia
Harald Alex
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal