We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus phylogeny and classification  (Read 1545 times)

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
Narcissus phylogeny and classification
« on: February 28, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
Hi,

An interesting paper on phylogeny of Narcissus have been published last year :
Marques I, Fuertes Aguilar J, Martins-Louçao MA, Moharrek F & Nieto Feliner G. (2017) A three-genome five-gene comprehensive phylogeny of the bulbous genus Narcissus (Amaryllidaceae) challenges current classifications and reveals multiple hybridization events. Taxon 66 (4): 832–854
(Abstract here : http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/iapt/tax/2017/00000066/00000004/art00005)

It is, as far as I know, the first comprehensive molecular phylogeny of the genus with mitochondrial, chloroplastic and nuclear genes. The two approaces of organellar and nuclear DNA give different results due to the large amount of hybridisation. The genes used an the number of samples for each species are not able to give good result at the species level. Thus, it is not possible to use this study to know if some species are valide or not. Nevertheless, it gives good information about the classification of the section, their origin and their degree of differenciation.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Narcissus phylogeny and classification
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 06:18:38 PM »
Thank you, Yvain - do you know if it is in English?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
Re: Narcissus phylogeny and classification
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 06:38:15 PM »
Yes, it is an international paper, so, in English... ;)
I have the PDF from Javier Fuertes Aguilar on Researchgate but some data are free on the site of ingentaconnect, see Electronic supplement in the Supplementary Data tab.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal