We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron 2018  (Read 16715 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Rhododendron 2018
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
My first of the year Rhododendron praecox, a couple of weeks earlier than last year.

605920-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
Re: Rhododendron 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »
Hello David,
                 always nice to see Praecox start flowering. Its one of my favourites although I normally get one day and then it gets frosted! At least its a sign that spring might be on its way. Mine have no signs of growth or flower this year yet due to the spell of cold weather we are having. Last year they flowered in early February and still had there leaves although we didn't have a winter as such with quite a few other Rhododendrons having a go at flowering in Nov/Dec. This year my Praecox dropped there leaves and are completely dormant. Looks by the weather forecast I may have to wait a good bit longer. Its beautiful and sunny here but very cold wind with touch of frost every morning.
Another of my early favourites is the Hybrid, Snow Lady which alas is also prone to late frosts. I tend to grow the early ones on North West or North facing aspects to escape the early morning sun. It works most years but if we get a really hard frost they tend to get a bit of damage.

Alasdair

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Hi Ali,

I have Snow Lady too. This one is in an ericaceous raised bed which faces South-West but is shaded by a tall fence a couple of yards in front of the bed. It's well in bud.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »
My Cilpinense is full of buds ready to flower, just in time for the hardest frosts for years.  I am hoping that the west coast escapes the worst but it is still worrying.  In the last few years I have planted tender varieties..Edgeworthii and hybrids.  These have flowered successfully but I don't know how much frost they can stand.  Two large pots of fragrantissimum hybrids have been brought indoors....we now can't use the dining room table !  They are supposed to be hardy to -9°C BUT I don't want to test this.  I have found that it is the continual cold winds that do more damage than actual low temperatures.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:36:14 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
I agree with the cold winds doing more damage than frost. When the ground is frozen then there is no moisture take up from roots and the cold winds tend to desiccate evergreens. You could try wrapping in fleece which allows a little air to circulate. Problem can be removing it without damaging buds etc. I use a heavier duty fleece called UV30 as the light weight fleece (UV18) tends to catch on everything. Another thing I have done in the past is place a large cardboard box over the plant if the frost is not forecast to last for days. Hope the forecasters are exaggerating it a bit as I don't want a prolonged cold frosty spell just at the start of the season. Wont be too bad if we get some snow but at the moment its blue skies and just above freezing with no snow forecast for the next few days. At least we have very little signs of growth in Inverness. There are a few crocus out and that's about it. Last year at this time we were a lot further ahead due to the mild winter.

Alasdair

Graham Catlow

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:02:36 PM »
My R. praecox are a month behind last year

609517-0

609519-1

But R. irroratum which is only a couple of meters away from the praecox is blooming at the same time as last year.

609521-2
Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »
R. montroseanum is blooming better than it has ever done before. Some of the blooms were damaged by the frosts that we had a couple of weeks ago.

609523-0

609525-1

R. hookerii 'Tigh na rudh

609527-2
Bo'ness. Scotland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
R. montroseanum is blooming better than it has ever done before.
Wow, never seen that before and it is amazing!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

GordonT

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »
Graham, I am envious of your montroseanum! I absolutely love the foliage... sadly our winters would see it grow itself back below ground.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 09:07:22 PM »
I gave up on Rh. Praecox years ago, it was always getting frosted.  At the minute I have  R. Cilpinense and  R. thomsonii McBeath's form.  R. elegantulum and  R. uvarifolium are showing colour from their buds.  The elegantulum has only been without flower for a couple or three  of months all year.

Your plants are looking good, Graham - especially that  sumptuous  R. montroseanum  !!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 06:27:14 PM »
Thanks Gail, Gordon, and Maggi.
R. montroseanum is one of those that has amazing leaves that make it stand out all year and well worth having just for those. The bonus is when it flowers as well as it is this year.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
just the leaves is a reason to grow it, a shame my soil is so alkaline.
North of France

Tomasz Cyba

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
Both montroseanum and hookeri are great material for hybridising. It's weird that no one is using montroseanum, while it is quite apparent that this is a great parent for foliage plants. Nice unexplored path for future hybridisers.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:36:51 PM by Tomasz Cyba »

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
Rhododendron racemosum.

610325-0
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
Rhododendron 'Snow Lady', a couple of weeks later than last year and a little weather beaten.

611292-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal