We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pterostylis  (Read 3563 times)

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
Pterostylis
« on: April 05, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »
Hi, just wondering if anyone has some Pterostylis for sale as you don't see them to often. Or if anyone nows where I can get some?

Regards

Dave

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Pterostylis
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »
I have a friend who grows them.  I will ask him if he has any for sale.

Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »
Hello,

Paul Christian at http://www.rareplants.co.uk/ sells them though I think it are the last days he has them for sale this season.

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »
Rob,

Interesting that it is just coming into growth for you.  They're just coming out of summer dormancy here as well, so yours is obviously still on southern hemisphere timing.  ;D  I have a growing collection of these (no pun intended) and thoroughly enjoy them.  I already have one species in bud.... it's an autumn one I am presuming, or else it is very confused.  The genus Pterostylis is in the process of being split up into a number of other genera.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
Rob,

Well they certainly have perfectly timed themselves to here in their native habitat.  I'm don't think that we have those species native near Canberra, but within a couple of hours from here I think.  I have a few baptistii named forms, plus assorted species and hybrids.  That particular collection has gone ahead in leaps and bounds this year as our local orchid society contains an expert (the type who writes books and is part of the name changes etc) who was selling some dormant tubers over summer.  Another addiction in the making for me I think. :o 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
I've been growing some for a few years now but unable to identify them and have given up asking people now. These were in flower three weeks ago. They were marked as Curta but i've been told they are not. Mystery.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »
Looks very like Pterostylis cutra , as I think of it, Dave! See these SRGC links.....
http://www.srgc.org.uk/shows/perth/report.html
and from the old forum,
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/141/29960.html

Ah, well, let's sit back now and wait for the opinions of others to come in.
 It is a super potful you have there, whatever!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
Looks like it had something really bad to eat!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:42:21 PM »
I see what you mean Carlo. ??? It looks like my P. curta (the only species I have).
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 12:49:10 PM »
They look to me a bit like curta, but more brown on them I think than the ones I have seen.  I think there is quite a bit of mixing up even here in Australia of "commercial" sales of Pterostylis.  I have 2 sources of curta and one I'm fairly certain isn't.  It is much slower to multiply than the other, but the darn things refuse to flower on the same years.  Now my curta is doing much better than it used to so I expect it to flower every year and hopefully I can get them in flower side by side at some point.  If they can be easily messed up here in Aus where they're native, then heaven knows what they're like overseas!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal