Specific Families and Genera > Saxifraga

Saxifraga 2018

<< < (2/15) > >>

Jan Tholhuijsen:
Good explanation David. Agree with you about the soil mixes.
With me is a part of the tuf rocks on the north side. 90% of the saxes are doing fine. Photo 1.
Another tuf rock is with me until 4 o'clock in the full sun. In case of hot weather, cool off every day with water bristles. Above 30 degrees, I put umbrellas. photo 2.
No saxifraga loss in the last 3 years. Fingers crossed.
How I made this tuf rock see here.  https://tinyurl.com/the-tuf-rock

David Sellars:
Great to see your garden beds Jan.  Your Saxifrages are doing very well. You are right that planting on the north side of rocks is key keeping the plants out of full sun at mid-day. I love your umbrellas in the summer! Adrian Young at Waterperry Gardens uses a slatted roof for shade but that has to be a permanent installation.

Here is another year and a half old cutting doing well in a 90 mm deep pot.  Saxifraga Torrisholme Rose.

kris:
David thank you for the detailed answer to my post. I got about 10 of them mostly kabschias and I usually grow them in the garden. But for the cuttings I will follow your advice. Most of my plants are planted in tufa rocks or in a vertical wall. They are OK but not very floriferous.
I have two pictures of my plants taken last year attached here.
1.Saxifrage sp ( I lost the  name)
2.Saxifraga oppositifolia
both of them grow in tufa.

kris:
David can you please tell me where you buy the limestone chips  and when is the best time to grow cuttings. This year I want to increase my plants from cutting. My concern is if the saxifrage roots do I have enough time to put in the ground?

David Sellars:
The local feed stores are remarkably useful sources for different types of grit.  I think it is something to do with turkeys.  You may have a Buckerfields in Saskatoon or equivalent feed store. Below is a photo of the limestone grit bag with a sprinkling of the limestone grit on top. I use #2 granite grit for mulch in the pots.  They used to manufacture it in BC (we have lots of granite) but the feed stores here now carry a product imported from Minnesota! If Donald Trump is reading this score 1 for NAFTA.

The best time for cuttings is September/October as long as they are not allowed to freeze over winter. I use a 50:50 mix of sand and vermiculite and no bottom heat. They root well over winter and can be potted up in February.  The second best time for cuttings is early spring, right now in this part of the world. They root in 8-12 weeks but are still too small to plant out unless you want to plant directly into tufa. I pot them up in small pots and keep them until the following spring for planting out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version