We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus id  (Read 2826 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Narcissus id
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:55:01 PM »
I have this pot of narcissus, just coming out, and wondered if anyone can put a name to them.  I think I got them as dwarf, but they certainly are not that, standing some 18inches or more outside their pot.  Quite pretty though.  Any id help will be much appreciated.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Narcissus
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »
Hi Chris, 

I'd say triandrus 'Thalia'.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:22:02 PM »
Thanks Ashley, much appreciated.  I'll pop a label in right now.  No idea where I got them lol....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »
I would go with 'Thalia' also.

Chris the problem with the word miniature is it no longer relates to the true miniaitures being bred today. e.g. all the 'miniatures' I bought from Miniature Bulbs in autumn '07 will be going to a friends garden after I have enjoyed them. Good thing I grow all new bulbs in pots for their first season!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
I think that they are classifying anything with triandrus, cyclamineus etc parentage as miniature because of their miniature parents.  Look at "Peeping Tom", which stands the height of a lot of normal daffs, but has swept back petals so it is classified as a cyclamineus and therefore a "miniature".  Seems totally wrong to me, but nothing exactly that I can do about it.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal