We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seeds that require smoke treatment to germinate  (Read 1063 times)

chrissyboi

Seeds that require smoke treatment to germinate
« on: January 19, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »
Hi, I recently discovered some Australian Iridacea seeds in a tin of deal-with-them-later acquisitions and am now intrigued as to how to get them going. I've heard of liquid smoke but can't find it anywhere online. The species are Patersonia umbrosa var xanthina, and Diplarrena latifolia. I have about 20 of each so is it worth just sewing half as normal and crossing my fingers, or does anyone, perhaps Protea fans, know a source for liquid smoke (or have any other tips?) Much appreciated in advance! Chris

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Seeds that require smoke treatment to germinate
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
Chrissy, If you do a Google search for "Colgin liquid smoke Uk" you will find various places to buy some.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »
I have no experience of smoke in germinating but have had both Patersonia glauca and the diplarrena germinate with regular "ordinary" sowing. I remember that the seed was reasonably fresh at the time, a few years ago now.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

GordonT

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
I can't find the post, but Robert posted a great demonstration of his simple method for smoke treating seed under an inverted plastic tote, with a pan of smoldering leaves/wood alongside. It may have been in his blog from 2015 or 2016.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 03:34:08 AM »
Yes, I tried real smoke and caught the compost on fire.

So now I just use liquid smoke. People use it to flavour meat to taste like barbecue,
 and it is sold in grocery stores.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal