We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: International Rock Garden Conference 2021  (Read 10915 times)

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
Re: International Rock Garden Conference 2021
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
I am pleased that our first online talk was a success, and that it is generating thoughts, comments and suggestions.  This was the intention behind my suggestion of opening with a talk which would generate a wide interest.  We had well over 50 people watching the talk, and more than half the viewers were not actually West of Scotland Group members! 

There are many opportunities for various ways forward, and as Ian says, there would be much to think about before a conference could be a success, but other organisations are doing such things.  Yes, the time difference is a problem, but a series of talks could be scheduled over several days to cover most time zones.  It is also possible to record the live talks, and make them available to participants to view afterwards at a more convenient time.

Comments from others on possible opportunities will be welcome.
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Margaret Thorne

• Mountain Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »
I certainly wasn't suggesting running the whole conference by zoom, just trying to be a bit positive about a horrible situation
Broughton Heights, Scottish Borders

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
I've  tried  to take part in a  few  of the  all day  events  by  zoom - totally  exhausting, especially  when not  in UK time  zone.    Single  talks are  another  matter- but  I  wonder  what the feeling   would be generally  about  paying  for  these if they were  to be  "cost  effective"  - a few  internet happy  folks  saying, "not  a  problem" may not  cover the  whole  story!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal