We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eremurus robustus  (Read 728 times)

brianw

Eremurus robustus
« on: March 26, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »
I want to move 1, maybe 2, established Eremurus robustus because they are too close to where I want to establish a path. I assume it is best done in late summer, when they are normally on sale. At present they are in growth but only ~6 cms tall and single shoots.
I have planted 5 crowns over the last 4 years. The first group of 3 have stayed as single shoots while the others planted later have multiplied into 5 or 6 shoots each. I have 5-6 flower stems in total each year. They are in apparently identical positions in full sun, just 3 metres apart, but behave quite differently.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
Re: Eremurus robustus
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
Hello there,
                I have moved many plants at probably the wrong time of year because they were either in the wrong place or had got too big with generally good success. I tend to dig around them and lift them with a decent root ball. If your careful not to disturb the roots etc most of the time it works fine. A good tip is to lift onto polythene and then carefully carry or slide to the new location to stop the root ball coming apart. I wouldn't have thought that there will be much new rooting at the moment but If you have to move them I would do it  as soon as possible as the weather is warming up an it won't be long before they are in full growth. They may go back slightly but I reckon they should be ok.

Alasdair

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal