We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stenomesson 2017  (Read 1722 times)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Stenomesson 2017
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:51:09 AM »

This is the first bloom for me on Stenomesson ecuadorense.  I received the bulb in Nov 2016 and it has been growing under fluorescent lights in my basement since then.  It is nominally a summer-growing species, and I dry it off and let it lose its leaves in autumn.

568956-0

568958-1

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

ArnoldT

Re: Stenomesson 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:59:22 AM »
Hi Jim:

Hope you are well.

Can you elaborate on the decision to grow this under lights in a basement instead of in a greenhouse.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
Can you elaborate on the decision to grow this under lights in a basement instead of in a greenhouse.

Hi Arnold,

The bulbs came only about 15 months ago.  They are summer growing and from quite high-altitude as well.  They prefer not to get too hot, even in summer, according to Alan Meerow.  My greenhouses, even the big one with the swamp cooler, get pretty hot in summer, so most of my Stenomesson are under lights in the basement instead of out in a greenhouse.

Perhaps oddly too, the Griffinia are also kept in the basement instead of in a greenhouse.  Griffinia are from Brazil, growing in shade as I understand it.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

ArnoldT

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
Jim:

thanks, I can see the reason for the cooler growing conditions.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
This is a  very nicely marked flower,  that I didn't know much about, grown at Kew - the photo was shared on Twitter by Miranda Janatka - Stenomesson pearcei

Miranda wrote : Stenomesson pearcei is native to Southern  Peru and  Bolivia, consistent cool nights are required to make these beautiful flowers appear and I believe we have felt it!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Think I still have some of this in the greenhouse. Must be 10 years or so since it flowered. Maybe I should be kinder to it again. ;-) Forget where it came from. The flowers are not very large.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

brianw

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
Checked this morning. I have 1 pot labelled many years ago ~20 and another similar. One of these bulbs that wants to multiply rather than flower. If anyone knows the secret; is it feeding correctly or watering regime, or temperature etc. Mine is at 6-7C min over winter.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal