We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula allionii.. cutting back  (Read 2485 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Primula allionii.. cutting back
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »
I have a Primula allionii Broadwell Milkmaid which was given to me about 3 years ago, when the plant was about 8-9 years old ( I think? ) . I have been in the process of removing the dead leaves this afternoon, a rather long winded job that I have not yet finished. The plant seems to have lost some of its vigour ( not surprising in view of how prolifically it flowers every year), and some of the stems are a little thin. Do allionii types respond to cutting back, like I think some P. marginata types, and if so when?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula allionii.. cutting back
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »
...........................................Do allionii types respond to cutting back, like I think some P. marginata types, and if so when?

I haven't tried cutting them back and I haven't read about it in either Mary Robinson's Primula book or in Bob and David Richards' Primula Allionii pamphlet in one of NAPS Guides. I have to say that I haven't seen it for marginata types either! If you are going to give it a try I would recommend that you take a batch of cuttings as well. February seems to be a good time to try as this is the time when the plants are starting into growth.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Re: Primula allionii.. cutting back
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply David

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal