We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2018  (Read 24042 times)

sokol

Re: Fritillaria 2018
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2018, 06:55:36 AM »
Fritillaria meleagris does well in my garden.

All neighbours have clean lawn, already mown besides ours. Some parts are left untouched till the middle of August just before the first Colchicum autumnale will appear.

613067-0

613069-1

613073-3

Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

ielaba2011

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
Fritillaria meleagris does well in my garden.

All neighbours have clean lawn, already mown besides ours. Some parts are left untouched till the middle of August just before the first Colchicum autumnale will appear.

Impressive pictures of F. meleagris, I wish I could have them as beautiful as yours. Hhank you Sokol.
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

ielaba2011

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2018, 11:08:26 PM »
Fritillaria lusitanica. I've found them in another spot, but this time only few of them were still in flower. In this place there was some variation in color within population.

sokol

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2018, 05:17:14 AM »
Nice to see Frit. lusitanica in its natural habitat unfortunately with the lily beetle like everywhere.
Stefan

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
The first one seems to be an extraordinary variation !
Thank you for posting These pics!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

ielaba2011

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »
The first one seems to be an extraordinary variation !
Thank you for posting These pics!

Gerd

They are lovely Gerd, and yes some nice variations in flower, This is a somewhat variable species. I have some babies in cultivation in my garden, but no flowers yet..maybe next year.

Nice to see Frit. lusitanica in its natural habitat unfortunately with the lily beetle like everywhere.

I've seen some Lily beetle in the gardens near by, probably it came from there into the wild populations... not good at all...

Jaime

sokol

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2018, 06:50:31 AM »
Don't worry, they are everywhere where I have seen Fritillaria in the wild. Only one population of all had really suffered, it was my first place of Fritillaria obliqua. All the others looked fine instead of some beetles.
Stefan

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
Fritillaria latifolia nobilis

Fritillaria minima
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Ali Baba

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »
Ive been having a go at establishing Fritillaria meleagris in my lawn, and planted a few bulbs from a well known UK nursery in my front lawn last autumn. One of the flowers looks different to the rest. Note the turned out perianth tips and the twin flowers on the same inflorescence. Could it be a hybrid?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:04:09 AM by Ali Baba »

colin e

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
The last Fritillaria affinis to flower for me this year is a yellow one. This I think is Fritillaria epirotica. I have grown it from seed a number of times but it never was the right thing. These were some bulbs given to me - thanks David. The next picture is a warning: more care should be taken now when checking plants. This was a seed capsule on Fritillaria latifolia var nobilis grown from Gothenburg seed; it is just still attached, I will have to see what happens! The last two pictures are of a plant I grew from seed labelled Fritillaria purdyi x biflora. I did not know what I was going to get and I am not complaining.

Colin
Somerton, Somerset UK zone 8

colin e

« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
Just about at the end of my season and two different seed grown Fritillaria glauca are in flower. The first was grown from Gothenburg seed and the second one from my own seed. I think the two pictures that are looking into the flower show the advantage of growing from seed. You may not always get what you want but the variation makes up for that. Everything is now starting to go into dormancy. Even having put the heavy shading on before those few hot days I did not manage to keep the greenhouse cool enough to keep them going. Now comes the truth: just how well did I do this year? I will only know after repotting when I can compare pictures of the bulbs from 2017 with what they look like this year.   

Colin
Somerton, Somerset UK zone 8

sokol

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2018, 04:50:43 AM »
Ive been having a go at establishing Fritillaria meleagris in my lawn, and planted a few bulbs from a well known UK nursery in my front lawn last autumn. One of the flowers looks different to the rest. Note the turned out perianth tips and the twin flowers on the same inflorescence. Could it be a hybrid?

No, it looks quite normal and twin flowers occasionally occur. I started 25 years ago to put some bulbs in my lawn. They are growing well since then and appearing everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:58:23 AM by sokol »
Stefan

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
Nice Frits Colin!
The season is coming to an end here also; apart from those below and recurva there are just the Chinese species to go.

Fritillaria purdyi

Fritillaria liliacea

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

sokol

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
The same here, just Frit. liliacea and camschatcensis are still in bud. The hottest april ever is a real challenge not only for the Fritillaria to become dormant not too early.
Stefan

sokol

« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2018, 09:51:25 AM »
Here they are.

Fritillaria camchatcensis

Fritillaria liliacea:

615617-4
Stefan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal