We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fritillaria 2018  (Read 24028 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Fritillaria 2018
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
I’m looking at F. involucrata, pontica, montana, and whittallii - do these seem reasonable to try? Any others? It’s likely I’ll need to grow them from seed, so I’d appreciate any opinions, cautions, or suggestions before I begin!
Hi Kelly,
if you haven't already joined SRGC or AGS or NARGS it would be a good idea; the Seed Exchanges usually have a good range of seed of Fritillaria (as well as other little treasures) - I've grown a few from them over the years
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

bibliofloris

« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing those suggestiong, Hannelore! F. michailovski and uva-vulpis are occasionally available in my area, too, so it’s great to hear they can take some shade. My trees in that area leaf around April (northern hemisphere) and I’m not sure which fritillaries will still be above ground then. Have you tried any of them yet in your spot? Any luck?

And thanks for the connection, Maggi — I’ll keep an eye on what John is offering! There are a few companies who sell some fritillaries, so maybe I can try a few while I wait for the rest to grow...

Yes, Fermi, I’m an SRGC member, starting to put my wish list together! I actually love growing from seed, and the range of what’s been offered in past years is amazing. I just try to make sure I have the right conditions before I grow a whole pot full of something.
Kelly Jones
near Seattle, Washington state, USA (US zone 8b)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
From Laurence Hill of  Fritillaria Icones :
Phylogenetic analyses reveal the Chinese medical plant “Beimu” Fritillaria ebeiensis as a separate species http://www.fritillariaicones.com/info/news/news_2018/Wei_et_al_2018.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

colin e

« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »
The season has started and my Fritillaria davidii are in growth.I am still learning how best to manage them down here in Somerset. I think what I did with them this year looks like it was the correct place to have them in the summer. They have not liked either of the places I have put them before. It was easier when we were still in Wraysbury; I knew where they had to go to get them to flower (it is not always were you want them!).
As our night time temperatures are due to be under 10c for the next two weeks so I have given all my pots their first watering. I had already rearranged all of them to where they will be for the 2018/19 season. The usual culprits had live roots out of their pots even before watering and being in dry potting mix (walujewii, tortifolia and chitralensis).
I have also sown all my own Fritillaria seed and also those that came too late to sow last year. They are all outside for two weeks before going into the fridge. I was not supposed to be sowing many this year, but I have still managed more than 40 pots!     
Let’s all hope for a good growing year after this hot dry summer.

Colin
Somerton, Somerset UK zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
Laurence Hill  of Fritillaria Icones  gives notice of this paper ....
New Open Access Paper: Functional Diversity of Nectary Structure and Nectar Composition in the Genus Fritillaria (Liliaceae) by Roguz et al. 2018 http://www.fritillariaicones.com/…/ne…/Roguz_et_al_2018.html

Laurence  writes : Laurence manages the membership, moderators, settings and posts for Fritillaria Group of the Alpine Garden Society.
Thanks to Colin Everett for Fritillaria material this research was able to cover a broader spectrum of the genus.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »
Fritillaria messanensis ssp messanensis Mt Kedros from Marcus Harvey 2002  (thanks to Yann for correction of the name of the Mountain!)
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:44:06 AM by fermi de Sousa »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

colin e

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
Continuing on from my post 22/09/18. Yes we did have night time temperatures under 10c for two weeks. Although it has felt very mild and forecasts have given minimum temperatures well into double figures, the highest minimum I have recorded in our garden is 11c, and that for only one night. However maximum daytime temperatures have been well above 20c quite often, so I do not know what time of year the bulbs think it is. That said, I know quite a few bulbs have started and got good root growth as I currently have 77 pot with live roots out of the bottom. Of the 77 pots, 33 of them are long toms so the bulbs in these pots have already got a decent length of root. I like to get good root growth because I work on the principle that with good roots you have a better chance of getting good bulbs. 
The seeds sown on the 20 of September went into the fridge on the 6 of October and I will need to keep an eye on them from the start of November. I had some seeds arrive in early October which, although getting a bit late for my preferred sowing time, is not too late so I sowed them on the 9 of October and they are still outside but will go into the fridge in the next seven days.     

Colin

colin e

« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
Things have definitely moved on down here in Somerset. My count of pots with live roots out of the bottom is now running at 195. I have not quite made it to 50% of my pots yet but most of the pots without roots out are those I would not expect to have them yet. The usual culprits have growth above the potting mix and some above the gravel topping. The most advanced is of course Fritillaria karelinii, one pictured below. Most of the others are either ones in the Rhinopetalum group or Fritillaria from the USA. With one exception: Fritillaria persica OP213063 being grown from seed. They germinated and had emerged above the gravel on 06/11/17. This year they were above the gravel on 06/11/18 it will be interesting to see when they make it above the gravel in 2019.
I went through this year’s pots of seed that are in the fridge properly for the first time this year and found 12 pots that had germinated, 4 of which had also emerged above the gravel.

Colin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
The most advanced is of course Fritillaria karelinii
Crumbs!  Buds so well developed  already!!

colin e

« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2018, 12:30:14 PM »
Just an update on the Fritillaria karelinii pictured yesterday.

Colin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
Very nice Colin.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal