We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Themidaceae 2018  (Read 3722 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Themidaceae 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
This is what I grew as Brodiaea coronaria var macropoda from NZAGS 2004 seedex.
I think someone has questioned its ID previously so I wonder what it is?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:50:34 PM »
Hi Fermi,

Plant identification can be challenging from posted photographs, however I enjoy the opportunity to keep my mind sharp and my knowledge current. So, thank you for posting the photographs.  :)   8)

Firstly, from my research, Brodiaea coronaria var. macropoda is synonymous with Brodiaea terrestris ssp. terrestris. If the tip of the anther has a dentate lobe in notch, then you have a close match. Keep in mind that garden collected seed can be unintended hybrid seed. The resulting hybrids may be beautiful and useful garden plants. In addition, if the parentage of the hybrid is known this can add to our knowledge of the possible origins and relationships of the species in the wild.

As an example, near the El Dorado County farm, Brodiaea elegans ssp. elegans is very common. Nearby there is a serpentine barren where Brodiaea minor grows abundantly. Both species bloom late in the season and natural hybridization is very possible, however I have never observed the phenomena. There are also various Triteleia species found in our area. To date, I have not observed hybridization on the species level, however distinction between some of the subspecies can become a bit blurred in some situations.

Keep in mind odd hybrids do occur, even in the wild. Natural hybrids between Allium campanulatum and A. validum are rare, but do occur. We are also aware of how easily some Calochortus species will cross with each other. Even odd hybrids between Calochortus albus and monophyllus have been reported. I have never seen any and I often see the two species growing and blooming in very close proximity to each other.

By the way, I did look at the previous posting of photographs. It is impossible for me to verify the identity of Triteleia dudleyi. Check the filament tip appendages. If they are forked the plants are most likely Triteleia ixioides. In this case I would be very wary of a hybrid plant; once again, with seed of garden origin there can often be too many questions.

As for the Brodiaea, for me it is too difficult to see the needed details to make an accurate identification. Some Themidaceae produce abundant bulb offsets. They can get spread around very easily.

Thank you again for posting the photographs. I enjoyed checking them out!   :)   8)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »
Hi Robert,
thanks for your input; I'll have to correct the label at some time.
It's looking even better now!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »
Triteleia elegans is flowering - leaning over a bit as it's in too much shade I think
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Triteleia laxa is probably the most commonly grown themid in Australia, I think.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »
Some of the Triteleia laxa forms we got from Lambley Nursery - I think sourced from Holland:
Triteleia 'Rudy Kleiner'
Triteleia 'Allure'
Triteleia 'For You'
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
Hi Fermi,

How are the named clones of Triteleia laxa different or improvements over the species? Is there superior performance, one clone over another? In my experience, the species is generally fairly uniform in the wild. I do encounter odd flower colors from time-to-time. Occasionally I find pink, white, or striped flowered plants.

The early blooming forms of Triteleia laxa have been up in our garden for over a month now. I am always amazed how quickly they advance in growth. We should see the first flowers in late January or February. The first flowers are not that far off.  :)

Also, are the photographs posted in blooming sequence? It would be very odd to see Triteleia laxa blooming at the same time as Brodiaea elegans. Triteleia laxa is very early blooming and Brodiaea elegans is among the last to bloom.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »
Hi Robert,
these are all in flower now. Triteleia laxa is usually one of the last to flower but that depends on where thye are planted.
Triteleia ixioides is now in seed as are the early brodieas.
The T.laxa selections seem to have been made for the cutflower trade by the Dutch, I think.
The differences are mainly in colour,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »
Fermi,

This is all very interesting.

I have both early blooming and late blooming forms of Triteleia ixioides. Those from higher elevations bloom later in the season, even at our low elevation Sacramento home.

I have one high elevation form of Triteleia laxa (grown from seed). I will be very curious to find out when they will bloom at our Sacramento home. All the other forms of Triteleia laxa that I grow bloom early in the season, some extremely early.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Roma

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
My Triteleia ixioides 'Splendens' has well developed leaves now.  I don't remember it being in growth at this time.  It did not flower in summer and I don't think it produced leaves either.  I thought the rabbits had eaten it though I'd usually see some signs of it even if they had.  We had a very dry spring and summer which must have confused it.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal