We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2018  (Read 39751 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Cyclamen 2018
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
Cyclamen graecum album in the rock garden
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »
Cyclamen libanoticum, from seed kindly provided by Tony Willis609345-0
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Orintia

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 10:46:50 AM »
Very beautiful! Such a gentle ...

Kaisa

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 06:25:06 AM »
Cyclamen repandum ssp. rhodense

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
Hello Kaisa - welcome to the Forum!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Kaisa

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 03:19:59 PM »
Hello! Will be glad to communicate and learn new information.

Roma

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
This Cyclamen coum started flowering in December and is still flowering.  The pictures were taken 8th December, 30th January and 24th March.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Some Cyclamen flowering now
Cyclamen rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum, ssp vividum and Cyclamen repandum
Cyclamen rhodium ssp vividum - even more vivid in real life
Cyclamen repandum album - it has a very thin red picotee edge, need my specs on to see it
Cyclamen creticum
Cyclamen persicum
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 01:11:50 PM »
The foliage on the white Cyclamen graecum has now started to emerge
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
Post from
the Cyclamen Society - looks like a good time to join up!
www.cyclamen.org

The June 2018 edition of the Cyclamen Society Journal will contain what we hope is an interesting mix of articles. There will be the next in the series 'How I grow cyclamen' as well as articles about The propagation of Cyclamen graecum from cuttings; Christmas in Cyprus; Herbaceous pests and pathogens on cyclamen; The cyclamen of Hans Simon Holtzbecker; Israeli cyclamen in context; Cyclamen creticum revisited; Cyclamen repandum in western Sicily; and the Evia Field Study 2018. Of course there will also be the usual sections on News, Miscellany, and Show Business, as well as the seed list and application form for the Society's Annual Seed Distribution.

Graeme

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2018, 09:29:29 AM »
Post from
the Cyclamen Society - looks like a good time to join up!
www.cyclamen.org

A really good issue this time - an excellent article on growing from seed and a growing from seed guide booklet

Just one question - and its the cat litter one - can it be used for acid loving plants?
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Orintia

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
Yes, you can use for plants a filler for cat litter, which contains zeolites - they accumulate moisture and nutrients from fertilizers and slowly give them to plants. When using zeolites, the threat of a plant's flooding is reduced - the substrate becomes very loose.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
A really good issue this time - an excellent article on growing from seed and a growing from seed guide booklet

Just one question - and its the cat litter one - can it be used for acid loving plants?
Graeme, as far as I know , some cat litters are very acidic - and some very alkaline.  Most are alkaline - I think so caution for acid loving plants is needed. Particularly since I have read that acidic cat-litter  can leach too much acid  when watered, let alone the  effects of alkaline litter on acid loving plants.   Care needed, I think!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:21:28 PM by Maggi Young »

Graeme

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2018, 03:41:52 PM »
Graeme, as far as I know , some cat litters are very acidic - and some very alkaline.  Most are alkaline - I think so caution for acid loving plants is needed. Particularly since I have read that acidic cat-litter  can leach too much acid  when watered, let alone the  effects of alkaline litter on acid loving plants.   Care needed, I think!
thanks Maggie - I think I need to put some in a cup with some water and do a test
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 05:48:12 PM »

Graeme, The cat litters to use for plants are those made from moler clay and these are most unlikely to give issues regarding pH. Two of the most popular brands to use are Sanicat Pink and Tesco Low Dust Cat Litter. I just tested the Sanicat  - using a pH meter and deionised water that was pH 6.9 to start. Adding Sanicat and leaving for a short while then gave a reading of pH 6.8. So the Sanicat is pretty much neutral regarding pH. I would be very surprised if the Tesco were any different, but when I get another minute I'll test that as well and let you know. The manufacturer of the original Seramis that cat litter stands in for quotes a pH of 7.0 i.e. it is neutral too - not surprising given it is made from the same moler clay as the cat litters mentioned. I have been using these materials for over 20 years with no problems from the pH. Don't be put off by occasional scare stories on the web - usually spread by those wanting to sell you more expensive versions of the same stuff! It would though perhaps be a wise caution to test the pH of each new bag you buy just in case they have changed the exact nature of the contents.

Paul

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal