We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Picture guide to seed exchange list?  (Read 1148 times)

Bart

Picture guide to seed exchange list?
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
A few days ago the new seed exchange list arrived, and I find myself searching for many pictures of plants or cultivars that are new to me. Although this is quite a nice activity, I figure that lots of members are doing the same, so I was wondering if a dedicated, numbered identical to numbers in the list, picture data base would be a good idea? With everyone chipping in, it could cost a fraction of the time it costs each individual to search for a pic of an unknown plant. I have no idea how it could be done and wether others are interested. I wonder what you all think?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Picture guide to seed exchange list?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
When one accesses the online seed exchange ordering system, each name has a link to a google search which provides  either further information or the chance to see photos  of the plants.
 So I think your suggestion is already in place, albeit not with  purely SRGC photos.

Each year, of course, the numbers on the list change   ( which is why it is so important to use the correct list  for the year for which you are checking back!) - so keeping a database of photos linked to numbers would be a nightmare.

From my experience of  trying to build a database of pictures of  identified seed  by scale to aid identification, it would take  many many years to  build such a base for  photos of plants. ( The Seed ID  scheme was begun in 2009 and now has just 962  seed types listed http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4426.0  )

Of course, manyplants can be searched  in the forum,  and the google search  facility attached to the online ordering system seems to work pretty well. Other Seed Exchanges also use that  method.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:21:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Bart

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
Hi Maggi,
I was not aware of the links in the online system. I tend to look through the paper list, and then google the plant I don't know. That is quite time intensive, so hence the idea. But indeed, dynamic lists are a nightmare...
I have been looking at the seedling  database at times and that seems a bit random- not really what I had in mind for this database. I'll check out the online list, might just be what I'm after. Thanks Maggi!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
The list online to browse- which is the only one you can access  right now, is not equipped with the google search facility, only the online ordering system does  that. 

The seedling photos thread, called "Germinating Now"   is meant to help ID whether or not we are growing the plants we think we are!  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5147.0
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:34:41 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
An excel list, complete with picture links, for SRGC Seedlist 71 has been provided by forumist "Karaba" - thank you for your help in this  Yvain!

With this list, even those simply browsing the list will be able to  have  picture access via google links plus  links to the Plant List

Link to download:
http://files.srgc.net/seedexchange/SRGC71xlseedlistwithpicturelinks.xlsx
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:06:16 PM by Maggi Young »

Bart

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »
Excellent! Thank you very much-Yvain and Maggi- that is very helpful in getting to know all those unknown generae a bit quicker.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »
30th November 2017  online ordering is NOW OPEN!! 

See this Seed Exchange page in the main site for the links to online ordering  http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/extensions/seed-exchange 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal