We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium seed germination  (Read 1751 times)

kris

Allium seed germination
« on: October 30, 2017, 12:00:15 AM »
Does anyone know how to germinate Allium semenovii.
I got the seeds but don't know what is the best method.
 If someone knows about this please share it.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Sibylle H

Re: Allium seed germination
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
In plants for a future is following method:
Seed - sow spring in a cold frame. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle - if you want to produce clumps more quickly then put three plants in each pot. Grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter and plant them out into their permanent positions in spring once they are growing vigorously and are large enough. Division in spring. The plants divide successfully at any time in the growing season, pot up the divisions in a cold frame or greenhouse until they are growing well and then plant them out into their permanent positions.

I tried it 2 years ago too but wasn't succesful. :-\

Where did you get the seeds from? I would like to try it a second time.
Berries are the poetry of a garden.

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
Best if you can get the seed fresh. It germinates better straight from the plant rather than being dried off.
Cover lightly with grit, gravel or whatever rather than compost.
Sow in a deep pot rather than a seed tray (reasons later).
Leave exposed to weather. They need a period of cold followed by warmth to initiate germination.
When (if?) they germinate do not be in a hurry to prick them out. This is the reason for deep pot rather than seed tray. They have only one root to begin with and if it is damaged, it dies and a new one has to be produced from the base of the seedling,  usually they die.
Feed the seed pot with dilute Baby Bio type stuff, until the leaves go yellow then allow the pot to dry off.
Repotting may be done when they are dormant. Some types never really go dormant so be careful.
I often do not repot until they have had another seasons growth. Remember many of them actually grow in late winter/early spring.
Cannot think of anything else for the moment.

Sibylle H

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
I think too it's the best to sow the seeds as soon as possible.
I sowed them in autumn and let the pot outside in the snow.
But I wasn't successful.......
Berries are the poetry of a garden.

Aleksandr Naumenko

• Nova Zahrada Nursery
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 09:28:29 AM »
I sow seeds of Allium semenowii outdoor on bed with usual garden soil with sand addition. On the photographs, which were taken yesterday, are seedlings that was sown Oct 31, 2015.
In natural habitat this Allium grows on moist meadows in upper part of forest belt and in subalpic belt of Tian-Shan mountains. Fresh seeds show good rate of germination in my experience, unlike for example Allium atrosanguineum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal