We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2007  (Read 49436 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Crocus January 2007
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »
David, no disrespect to you but that looks like a pretty poor potfull of bulbs. As an experienced gardener but a novice at Crocus I would guess that you went to the local garden centre and bought a bag of their stock. I have never known such a bag only contain five corms and looking at the gaps in the pot I suspect that some have not come up. Also, with first year growth of newly purchased corm  I would expect them to flower pretty evenly.
 Given good stock to start with it is difficult not to get a display in the first year so I doubt that the problem is with you. It looks to me as if you have been sold a bag of crocus that have not been properly looked after.

David,

Never thought they might be poor stock, it was easier to blame me! I will do a bit of counting tomorrow and get back to you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »
You haven't said much about your greenhouse David N - is it fully ventilated at all times, or is it possible the temperature has been rather high on the sunny days we've had? This might result in poorly coloured flowers that would flop very quickly. It's generally given that for hardy bulbs like these it's best to grow them 'hard' at least until the buds are about to open. You can then bring them into warmth if you wish, but they won't last long in flower in that case.
Also, they are in a clay pot - this is great but you must be very careful with watering as they dry out very quickly. My clays are plunged to the rim in moist sand which makes watering much easier and less frequent. Maybe this is the reason why the odd one has not come up, but it's also perfectly possible that a couple of them weren't too good to start with.
Don't give up! The tommies should be better - remember to keep them cool! 8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:07:41 PM by annew »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2007, 09:49:13 PM »
Can anyone identify this crocus I've had it for some time lost the label and the  plants I think it might be I can't remember buying - old age probably.

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »
Here a couple I have the labels for
Crocus Chrysanthus Uschak Orange and that Corsicus again.

What is interesting is that I have still got flowers on Laevigatus Fontenayi which has been flowering now since the middle of November

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2007, 10:02:35 PM »
You haven't said much about your greenhouse David N - is it fully ventilated at all times, or is it possible the temperature has been rather high on the sunny days we've had? This might result in poorly coloured flowers that would flop very quickly. It's generally given that for hardy bulbs like these it's best to grow them 'hard' at least until the buds are about to open. You can then bring them into warmth if you wish, but they won't last long in flower in that case.
Also, they are in a clay pot - this is great but you must be very careful with watering as they dry out very quickly. My clays are plunged to the rim in moist sand which makes watering much easier and less frequent. Maybe this is the reason why the odd one has not come up, but it's also perfectly possible that a couple of them weren't too good to start with.
Don't give up! The tommies should be better - remember to keep them cool! 8)

Hi Anne,

My greenhouse is an 8x6 Aluminium, two top vents open fully all year round, two side vents open fully all year round, two wire mesh panels + one glass in the door, and one wire mesh panel in the end opposite the door. (I grow primulas and auriculas as well!), oh, and the door is open during day time all year round unless very windy. But owing to pressure of space the Crocuses have spent most of their greenhouse time on the "downstairs" shelf of the staging. I do wonder though if I have kept them too dry-I do have a tendancy to worry about keeping plants too wet and perhaps over compensate and keep them on the dry side. First thing tomorrow I shall be down at the greenhouse moisture meter in hand.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »
Ian your mystery crocus is C tommasinianus.  As to whether it is a named form I cannot say - its easy and cheap but that dont stop it being beautiful.
I still think your 'that corsicus' looks like imperati.  I'd like to handle it (!) so to speak!  The picure is lovely but it is always better to connect with the real plant when ID'ing these things.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2007, 12:13:12 AM »
Thanks Tony I thought it was a tommie but can't remember ever putting any in this spot. As to the "Corsicus" it  is still nice whatever it is

Attached a piccy of Crocus Etruscus though it is not as blue as in the photo and also because I am too idle to post this in the correct thread is Iris Histriodes Major

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2007, 09:21:49 AM »
David, your conditions are 'harder' than mine! I would put the crocuses on top though.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2007, 10:13:55 AM »
mine stay, for this year, underneath until the noses are through. A bulb frame has to be a priority in my garden this spring
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2007, 01:22:07 PM »
Mark, your yellow crocus looks like chrysanthus, but I don't know
of any trade form in this colour, so sorry - no name for this one  :-[

Ian, your tommie looks like "Barr's Purple" from the flower shape, but
your photo shows its blue very colourful, is that the true colour?
Mine are somewhat paler blue coloured!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

SueG

« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »
I know it's not in the same league as most of you, but I have just found my first ever crocus seeds have germinated in the last few days from seed sown this time last year.

I'd be grateful for some more info:-
Is this length of time between sowing and germination usual?
How long can I expect it to take until they flower?
I'm assuming I grow them like any other bulb from seed, keep them in growth for as long as possible, repot the whole potful as one, feed when I water etc etc but is there anything else I should know

thanks for any advice

Sue

PS they are crocus banaticus
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2007, 01:44:54 PM »
Hi Sue!

Yes, it's usual to see the first leaves at this time of the year!!
It will take 3 years until you have the first flowers!
Crocus banaticus has to be kept slightly moist, even in summer!!!!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

SueG

« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2007, 01:48:28 PM »
Hi Thomas
Thanks for the info, will make sure the pot doesn't dry out
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
view flowers after one week with frost,
Thomas here is the large form from
Crocus corsicus,
two forms Crocus graveolens,
Crocus biflorus ssp.pseudonubigena
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »
From Mark form previous page:lots of tommies out today - 'Roseus' and 'Barr's Purple' but surely this can't be classed as white!? It's not the camera because the eyes see the same colour
C. tomm. 'Alba'
Thomas, Tony, neither of you has commented about Mark's very pretty but not white, so-called C. tomm. albus: can you tell us what you think?
Are they even tommies at all?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal